VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Overview

VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Management tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Automation (vRA): VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) vs VMware vRealize Automation (vRA)

What is VMware vRealize Operations (vROps)?

Automate IT operations management, manage performance and gain visibility across physical and virtual infrastructure with VMware vROps. It proactively identifies and solves emerging issues with predictive analytics and smart alerts, ensuring optimum performance and availability of applications and infrastructures across vSphere, Hyper-V, Amazon and physical hardware.

VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) is also known as vCenter Operations Manager, VCOPS, vRealize Operations.

VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Customers

Science Applications International Corporation, Tribune Media, Heartland Payment Systems, Telkom Indonesia, Columbia Sportswear, iGATE, CSS Corp, Angel Broking, Adira Finance, Hipskind, Beiersdorf Shared Services, Innovate Mas Indonesia, Adobe, Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi , Join Experience S.A, Borusan Holdings, Department of Transport - Abu Dhabi

VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) pricing:
  • "vROps is a bit expensive and that's a reason that small clients say, 'No, I don't think we need this.' From a pricing perspective, it is quite steep. But 'expensive' is relative, depending on what you need. Others might say, 'It is expensive, but I think we can use it to better our environment.'"
  • "Five or six years ago, when we took it, it was a very good option. Now, I think I have to reevaluate, to be honest."
  • "Every VMware product is a licensing challenge. It's always costly. It's based on processors. From a technical side, the product is very good. The challenging part is always the licensing. They should have some kind of alternate pricing models."
  • "When we last did a comparison of solutions, the pricing was equal or similar."
  • "The solution has a huge cost. If we could just have one license covering everything that vROps can do, that would be great. I would prefer it this way."

Gaurav Amar
GM IT Infra at PVR Ltd
Dec 22, 2020
Enabled us to cut the cost of resources and manage our infrastructure with a smaller team

What is our primary use case?

I've been using this for managing our company's infrastructure. We have a cluster of somewhere around six nodes. We're using it in a hybrid mode. We have our on-premise data centers and we are operating on AWS as well. We have multiple legacy apps which require a certain type of monitoring to be enabled and we kept that enabled from the on-premise, but the advanced features for monitoring are being explored on AWS.

• "There's a feature known as Smart Alerts in vRealize Operations, which I have found to be useful if there's anything going wrong in the infrastructure. What usually happens is that you get so many alerts that you become confused. Smart Alerts give you visibility into your infrastructure and also recommend how to fix the situation. That's a feature which I'm really a fan of."
  • "For the initial setup, there should be some sort of auto discovery of the environment. That should be enabled. It has the ability to discover a main node, but it could still be made easier, to reduce the initial configuration and setup time."

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vRealize Operations very highly because it gives you multiple features such as compliance, agility, and staying hybrid, although if you want you can do it on-prem or on the cloud. I would recommend it regardless of the deployment, whether it's on-prem or AWS or hybrid. It is user-friendly, but it definitely requires a little tweaking in the environment when you're doing the installation to set it per your requirements, your infrastructure, and per your expectations. What are you trying to monitor? Once you're done with setting up vROps for your cluster or nodes, then it's very…
FN
reviewer1035828
Senior Technical Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Dec 16, 2020
Enables our clients to manage their environments and trim VMs or resources that are not needed

What is our primary use case?

For our clients, vROps is used for managing their environments, having a single pane of glass, so they can go in and have a view of what's actually going on in their environments. That's especially true when it comes to TCO perspectives. When it comes to the TCO, they get to realize how they can start trimming down VMs that are not working, or cutting down on the resources that those VMs are using. That helps them do better in their environment and to lower their operational costs at the end of the day. We do have the big enterprises; we've got quite an extensive team that looks after clients… more »

• "The capacity planning is one of the most valuable features. That is brilliant."

What other advice do I have?

When we speak to clients about it they often say, "I'll think about it." I think the best thing for them to do would be to actually use it, with the 60-day trial. They should play around with the tool and then come back and say, "This is what I can do in the product." That way, they would see what the product is about. I'd rather they experience something than somebody else telling them about it. Clients have access to VMware. They can download the solution from wherever they are and then start playing with it. They need to see what it can do and realize, "Wow, what an amazing tool." They need…
    Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
    476,483 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    SK
    SenthilKumarGM
    Senior System Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Feb 8, 2021
    Helps us manage and increase capacity as needed, and workload balancing has notably decreased our downtime

What is our primary use case?

We have a large, enterprise-level VMware virtual infrastructure. We use vROps for private cloud monitoring. We are using vROps for capacity management and audit monitoring. If there is any issue within the infrastructure, within the thresholds, vROps will capture them and trigger alerts. The triggered alerts are sent to our ticketing tool, using the REST API, and the ticket is created according to the priority. The respective first-level teams will handle those incidents.

• "It gives us visibility into the virtual infrastructure, and even the physical infrastructure, and into the workloads running. We have visibility even at the level of the appliance services. We can monitor everything. We can also create dependency reports, so if a service is down, it will not impact things. It gives us those dependencies brilliantly."
    • "When it comes to policies, they need to fine tune things to make it easier. It is a bit difficult setting up policies."

What other advice do I have?

It provides proactive monitoring, but it is not a real-time monitoring. It is polling every five minutes. If there is an issue in the first minute, but polling happens at the fifth minute, there is a gap of four minutes. It will capture that failure and alert in the fifth minute. It is more reactive monitoring, in that sense. But at least we know there is an issue. Overall, vROps is maturing, year by year. New versions have a lot of scope. We are not fully utilizing it, but if you understand the product features correctly, it will save you a lot of cost and reduce manual efforts. I would…
    HIMANSHUMARU
    Manager, IT Infrastructure and Data Center at Asian Paints
    Jan 21, 2021
    Proactive monitoring and alerts have helped us to anticipate issues and decrease downtime

What is our primary use case?

We wanted a tool for monitoring the entire virtualization infrastructure. In addition to infrastructure monitoring, a second use case was application monitoring. At the time we were looking, they had a tool called EPOps through which you could do application monitoring. We also heard about some other components, partner integrations for VMware, through which we could monitor the SAP landscape and storage performance.

• "VM rightsizing is another very good feature and capacity planning is something else that I like about it."
    • "We integrated vROps with vRealize Log Insight, but it was not helpful to me. It was not giving me any good data."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to look at it holistically, meaning look at what you want to achieve in the final endgame. Also, evaluate a couple of products to get a feel for them and which product suits you. In addition, create roles within your company, because this needs dedicated attention when you implement it and attention to sustain it. There should also be alignment with an application team or leadership team when implementing this kind of solution.
    SR
    reviewer1351488
    Architecture Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Dec 16, 2020
    Provides us with detailed VMware infrastructure monitoring and recommendations for resource utilization

What is our primary use case?

We are using vROps for its monitoring and alerting mechanisms, for the entire VMware environment. We use the analytics and recommendations.

• "One of the best features is the monitoring. It gives you proactive recommendations, based on the information that you have. It recommends changes. For example, if an ESX service is heavily loaded, it will tell you to make some changes, such as storage optimizations. Every tool does monitoring, but this one gives you more proactive monitoring, with the recommendations and actions that are needed."
    • "If it could help with calculating on-prem costs, based on their experience, it would help customers determine whether to remain on-prem or move to the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

We don't use VMware's Tanzu solution along with this solution for Kubernetes monitoring and management, but we have had discussions with the VMware team about it. It is still in discussion. Leaving the issue of cost aside, I would rate vROps at eight out of 10, in terms of the technical side, integration, and support.
    AC
    Reviewer03752
    IT Consultant at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Jan 20, 2021
    Flexible reporting, with a choice of KPIs, helps the company understand capacity and see future needs

What is our primary use case?

I work for a Post Office service and we use this solution to monitor business core assets which help to deliver packages. There are many applications we need to monitor as part of our service and to see their availability. We also use it to analyze and to forecast. Finally, we use it for business reports for sharing the status of memory, CPU, and data storage. The solution is very big in terms of how many variables you can extract.

• "For me, the most valuable feature of vROps is its reporting. We use the reports to send information to certain groups within our company to help forecast the use of resources."
    • "For me, the technical support is the biggest problem. I've been working with them since 2016 and in the first years their response was faster than it is today. That is a problem. Also, I need to put together and send them a lot of information. And then I wait one day, two days. The support has been getting worse over the last few years. They need to improve it."

What other advice do I have?

In the future I'd like to use the plug-in and the APM. In the future, using the APM, things will be better. Nowadays, applications have under-utilization of hardware. I'm happy with the solution. There are many options for using it because of the features vROps has.
    OmidKoushki
    Network Specialist at KIAN company
    Nov 25, 2020
    Enables us to unify all monitoring solutions in one platform and to optimize configurations

What is our primary use case?

We provide solutions related to VMware, Docker, and Kubernetes for banking data centers. We use this product to monitor virtualization infrastructure and different resources that we use in our project. We implement vROps into data centers that are working together to develop vROps solutions with different interfaces. One of them is Dell EMC Adapter which is added to vROps to monitor and collect various logs related to Dell EMC storage. We also add another plugin to monitor HP. We host around 1,200 to 1,300 virtual machines. Our data centers have more than 50 physical servers.

• "One of the most attractive features in vROps is collecting information, logs, and events and, after that, providing proactive predictions about usage of resources. vROps also offers recommendations. For example, in the next two months we might face problems with CPU usage. vROps predicted and forecasted these issues in advance. That's a very useful feature."
    • "There is room for improvement in asset management and resource usage."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend implementing vROps by first setting up a pilot environment. You need to become a master in vROps to make the best use of its features. If you don't have any experience with a lot of the features provided by vROps, you can't easily use them, and you can't understand the difference between vROps and SolarWinds and other products. So I would recommend studying it in detail. After that, you can make use of it, because vROps is a bit complex.
    Abimbola Hassan
    System Analyst at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
    Dec 1, 2020
    Decreased downtime by providing a lot of visibility into our environment

What is our primary use case?

We have been able to use vROps to optimize our environment and do right-sizing for most of our VMs. vROps has also been able to help us in regards to forecasting and adware procurement. Therefore, we can see our utilization in the next six months and how we have been trending. The company is multinational. We are still running on-premise with a plan of moving to the public cloud. At the end of the day, it will probably be a hybrid environment.

• "It has been helpful around capacity planning, which we traditionally did on a yearly basis. However, since last year, I started using vROps to reclaim and save more resources. It has been helpful along those lines."
    • "If I could integrate with vCenter with vROps, then I could execute more things by managing vSphere from within vROps. That would be great."

What other advice do I have?

We are still running vROps in parallel with some products that we are currently using. However, I am seeing the opportunity for it to take over from our other tools in the future. From what I have read, it is a great tool that you can use across multiple clouds. We are planning on implementing VMware's Tanzu solution along with vROps for Kubernetes monitoring/management in Q1 2020. I am currently familiarizing myself with it because I know it's something that I will be deploying pretty soon. I would rate this solution as a nine out of 10.
    See 5 more VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Reviews
    Download our free VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.