VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Management tools. It is most often compared to VMware vRealize Automation (vRA): VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) vs VMware vRealize Automation (vRA)

What is VMware vRealize Operations (vROps)?

Automate IT operations management, manage performance and gain visibility across physical and virtual infrastructure with VMware vROps. It proactively identifies and solves emerging issues with predictive analytics and smart alerts, ensuring optimum performance and availability of applications and infrastructures across vSphere, Hyper-V, Amazon and physical hardware.

VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) is also known as vCenter Operations Manager, VCOPS, vRealize Operations.

VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Customers

Science Applications International Corporation, Tribune Media, Heartland Payment Systems, Telkom Indonesia, Columbia Sportswear, iGATE, CSS Corp, Angel Broking, Adira Finance, Hipskind, Beiersdorf Shared Services, Innovate Mas Indonesia, Adobe, Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi , Join Experience S.A, Borusan Holdings, Department of Transport - Abu Dhabi

VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) pricing:
  • "We have definitely seen ROI by removing unnecessary servers and VMs. By having vROps as an assistant when it comes to monitoring and managing resources, it has helped us a lot with cost savings and managing expenses."
  • "The billing is complicated because every country has a different option. Here in Chile, we don't pay for this kind of service with the Chilean pesos. We use another currency. In the future, I think vROps needs to work with governments for a native solution."
  • "This is an enterprise-level product and everything is included in the VMware Suite license."
  • "vROps is a bit expensive and that's a reason that small clients say, 'No, I don't think we need this.' From a pricing perspective, it is quite steep. But 'expensive' is relative, depending on what you need. Others might say, 'It is expensive, but I think we can use it to better our environment.'"

Mohamed Nabe
Tech Lead VMware Support Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, and support is always available

What is our primary use case?

I am working for a public cloud provider and am supporting their infrastructure. The company's cloud is deployed on VMware products. Essentially, it is VMware virtualization infrastructure and they are selling public cloud space. Customers use the service to have access to a public cloud that is local, in their country. If, for example, they don't want to use AWS or Azure, then they can opt to use this service. In return, they have full control of their data and infrastructure. We use several products in the VMware suite including ESXi, vCloud Director, NSX, vRealize Operations Manager… more »

• "If the network goes down between our office and one of our data centers then it is able to detect that. It will provide you ways to get a deeper understanding of the issues, and it will suggest resolutions."
  • "In the past, when we have raised priority one tickets and they have sent us level one engineers. This wasted time because the L1 was only able to perform the troubleshooting steps that we had already completed."

What other advice do I have?

We offer a variety of services for our customers including Kubernetes monitoring and management. However, at this time, we do not have any customers who opt for it. What we provide depends on the customer's requirements. If they want to include VMware with their machines, we deploy the tenants. We promote all of the products, including that for Kubernetes monitoring and management, but nobody has yet requested Kubernetes. I expect that because we are promoting them, our users will understand the utility and plan to use them in the future. VMware updates their product every one or two years…
Mojtaba Karimi
Senior System Administrator at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Its dashboards give you a glimpse of what is really going on in your virtualized environment

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for monitoring, resource management, and troubleshooting of our virtualized environments. We have been using Heavy Hitter VM dashboards for oversized and undersized VMs. We use vROps to find the contention in the CPU, RAM, and storage. We evaluate the IOPS and throughput of our storage connectivity with our storage back-end. We receive some alerts about some misconfigurations. Mostly, we are using vROps for two main purposes: monitoring and resource management. In my current organization, we have two nodes; a master node and an HA node. So, we have two nodes of vROps… more »

• "The dashboards are really good. They give you a glimpse of what is really going on in your virtualized environment. The ability to create customized dashboards based on your needs is also great."
  • "vROps has a hypervisor level of monitoring going on in our data center. We are using other products, like SolarWinds, to have a service and OS-level of monitoring. Because we are using two solutions simultaneously for different levels of monitoring, it would be really nice in the future to have a service monitoring or OS-level of monitoring in vROps, e.g., adding the support online for monitoring services, like Linux services, Linux Databases, and Linux servers as well as Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft Active Directory, or other Microsoft services, since we use them a lot. It would definitely help us in the future if vROps implemented this feature."

What other advice do I have?

If you have an enterprise-level environment or work in a large-scale data center, I would definitely recommend using vROps. It helps a lot with resource management as well as understanding the congestion and bottlenecks of virtualized environments. It is the number one solution for monitoring virtualized environments, especially if you are using VMware. Generally, it is a very comprehensive, good product. The user-friendliness of the UI is really good. It is better every year. I haven't used a previous version of vROps. I have only used version 8. I saw some screenshots of the UI before, and…
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BW
Consultant at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Notifies you of a problem and will point you to where the location is

What is our primary use case?

We operate a test lab and we do virtual and physical testing for various clients. We frequently build out a test sweep that looks like the client's environment and then runs the tests on that. We particularly do it with upgrades and things of that nature. vROps is used to do performance measurements. It's in conjunction with two other products. One of them is called vRealize Log Insight and the other one is called vRealize Network Insight. That gives us a reasonably good profile of the performance in one of the systems under test.

• "Our business is built around testing, measurement, and performance measurement and vROps is the primary tool. We use it in a VMware environment and we do tests in other environments. But in the VMware environment, vROps and the associated products, Log Insight and Network Insight are the primary tools that we use. It's a basic tool. It's very important for our organization."
  • "If I put on the hat of a client, I would say cost needs improvement. For clients with reasonable-sized infrastructure farms, you're looking at licensing at either per socket or per VM, and if you have an installation of any size, you're doing it per socket, and the per-socket licensing is a little heavy. Per VM license, if they have large numbers of VM, it is just not practical."

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to efficient workload placement, vROps works with vCenter for workload placement, and vCenter carries most of the burden for that, so I'm not sure that's something that vROps itself does. If you're running an evaluation or testing on VMware environments, vROps is really the only tool that makes sense. My advice would be to find a specialist. vROps will point you to where to look for the problem. When you actually dig into doing diagnosis and so on, you really need a good log processing facility to be able to dig through the logs and identify where the problems have arisen. vROps…
Alvaro De Las Heras
Team Leader & VMware Specialist Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A scalable solution that is good for monitoring and day-to-day troubleshooting

What is our primary use case?

We monitor workloads with vROps. For example, if a new customer wants our services, we need to know the impact if you put their workloads in our platform, i.e., if this new workload will have any impact on the product or platform. We need to know the increase in percentage relative to CPU, memory, and disk. So, it is important to know how a new project or workload can impact the product or platform.

• "For project management and new clients, the What-If Analysis is very good. You can use it for workloads. When you are adding new workloads to your platform, it helps you avoid impacting your production."
  • "In a previous version, you could click on a cluster to see a lot of information about efficiency, e.g., when you will run out of memory, CPU usage, and RAM in percentages. In newer versions, you see this information in megahertz and kilobytes, not percentage. I don't like this change so much. If you need to present information to your boss or Director of IT, the information would be better with a percentage. Now, you have only a big number and don't know the percentage of use that you are getting from the VMs. I don't know why they changed it, but I liked the percentage version more than getting the numbers for megahertz of memory. Also, kilobytes of memory is a very large number. For a simple view, gigabytes or terabytes is better."

What other advice do I have?

It is useful for determining whether to make decisions. Also, for our troubleshooting issues, it is the most powerful option in the market. vROps provides a good native solution if you are using multiple VMware tools. The design and what you sell to customers will impact your infrastructure. There is a new version, but I haven't used it yet. I would rate this solution as an eight out of 10.
Gaurav Amar
GM IT Infra at PVR Ltd
Enabled us to cut the cost of resources and manage our infrastructure with a smaller team

What is our primary use case?

I've been using this for managing our company's infrastructure. We have a cluster of somewhere around six nodes. We're using it in a hybrid mode. We have our on-premise data centers and we are operating on AWS as well. We have multiple legacy apps which require a certain type of monitoring to be enabled and we kept that enabled from the on-premise, but the advanced features for monitoring are being explored on AWS.

• "There's a feature known as Smart Alerts in vRealize Operations, which I have found to be useful if there's anything going wrong in the infrastructure. What usually happens is that you get so many alerts that you become confused. Smart Alerts give you visibility into your infrastructure and also recommend how to fix the situation. That's a feature which I'm really a fan of."
  • "For the initial setup, there should be some sort of auto discovery of the environment. That should be enabled. It has the ability to discover a main node, but it could still be made easier, to reduce the initial configuration and setup time."

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vRealize Operations very highly because it gives you multiple features such as compliance, agility, and staying hybrid, although if you want you can do it on-prem or on the cloud. I would recommend it regardless of the deployment, whether it's on-prem or AWS or hybrid. It is user-friendly, but it definitely requires a little tweaking in the environment when you're doing the installation to set it per your requirements, your infrastructure, and per your expectations. What are you trying to monitor? Once you're done with setting up vROps for your cluster or nodes, then it's very…
Devyani Gandhi
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Dynamic interface with interactive dashboards, easy to use, helps with proper sizing

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is infrastructure monitoring. This is a very in-depth monitoring tool and the use cases have been to monitor multiple hardware platforms like Dell and UCS. This includes network hardware as well as the storage solutions like Unity boxes. We've also monitored the entire SDDC stack by leveraging the different management packs.

• "The dashboards and the interface are very easy to understand, very lively, and very dynamic."
  • "The what-if analysis section is not very advanced and there is a lot of room for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to size the environment very well. This is the first analysis that we do; we look at how big the environment is that we want to monitor and how many objects will be there, and compare this to the VMware sizing guide. You really have to analyze that and size your environment well because if it is done properly then it will give you a lot of value in monitoring. Overall, this is a good monitoring tool and I think it's the best one for me. That said, there is always room for improvement. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
FN
Senior Technical Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Enables our clients to manage their environments and trim VMs or resources that are not needed

What is our primary use case?

For our clients, vROps is used for managing their environments, having a single pane of glass, so they can go in and have a view of what's actually going on in their environments. That's especially true when it comes to TCO perspectives. When it comes to the TCO, they get to realize how they can start trimming down VMs that are not working, or cutting down on the resources that those VMs are using. That helps them do better in their environment and to lower their operational costs at the end of the day. We do have the big enterprises; we've got quite an extensive team that looks after clients… more »

• "The capacity planning is one of the most valuable features. That is brilliant."

What other advice do I have?

When we speak to clients about it they often say, "I'll think about it." I think the best thing for them to do would be to actually use it, with the 60-day trial. They should play around with the tool and then come back and say, "This is what I can do in the product." That way, they would see what the product is about. I'd rather they experience something than somebody else telling them about it. Clients have access to VMware. They can download the solution from wherever they are and then start playing with it. They need to see what it can do and realize, "Wow, what an amazing tool." They need…
    SenthilKumarGM
    System Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Helps us manage and increase capacity as needed, and workload balancing has notably decreased our downtime

What is our primary use case?

We have a large, enterprise-level VMware virtual infrastructure. We use vROps for private cloud monitoring. We are using vROps for capacity management and audit monitoring. If there is any issue within the infrastructure, within the thresholds, vROps will capture them and trigger alerts. The triggered alerts are sent to our ticketing tool, using the REST API, and the ticket is created according to the priority. The respective first-level teams will handle those incidents.

• "It gives us visibility into the virtual infrastructure, and even the physical infrastructure, and into the workloads running. We have visibility even at the level of the appliance services. We can monitor everything. We can also create dependency reports, so if a service is down, it will not impact things. It gives us those dependencies brilliantly."
    • "When it comes to policies, they need to fine tune things to make it easier. It is a bit difficult setting up policies."

What other advice do I have?

It provides proactive monitoring, but it is not a real-time monitoring. It is polling every five minutes. If there is an issue in the first minute, but polling happens at the fifth minute, there is a gap of four minutes. It will capture that failure and alert in the fifth minute. It is more reactive monitoring, in that sense. But at least we know there is an issue. Overall, vROps is maturing, year by year. New versions have a lot of scope. We are not fully utilizing it, but if you understand the product features correctly, it will save you a lot of cost and reduce manual efforts. I would…
    See 17 more VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Reviews
    Download our free VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.