AirMagnet Survey Review

It allows me to mitigate interference before installing access points.

What is most valuable?

Spectrum XT running at the same time during survey mode: It allows me to investigate after the survey to see what was causing the interference and mitigate it before installing the access points.

The reports that are generated are very good and a customer can make since of them.

The ability to run both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz active surveys at the same time for 802.11n applications is a real time saver you don’t have to walk the floor twice to gather the data you need.

Another valuable feature is the ability to use CAD drawings and to select layers within the CAD drawing to cut down on clutter and make the CAD files easier to work with.

The ability to tie the license to a wireless adapter MAC or the MAC of the computer is a nice feature especially if you want to use the software on more than one computer.

How has it helped my organization?

AirMagnet allows our organization to relatively quickly provide our customers with a budgetary solution that meets their business needs.

What needs improvement?

The planner function would be better if there was the ability to change the antenna orientation for external antenna, e.g., tilt angle.

The multi-floor alignment tool is not very good; only having to use two points and hope that they line up is tough. I have had to alter the floor plan’s scale to get the alignment tool to work correctly.

Having better capacity planning, the ability to add different client devices would be nice.

The user manual is quite in depth; it would be nice for the price that you pay for the product that there could be a link in the user guide to see exactly how to use/run a particular function other than screen shots. For example, conducting VoFi Surveys:

I have used AirMagnet Survey Pro for 11 years. I have used AirMagnet Planner for six years.

No deployment issues where encountered during the installation process. At the time we purchased the software there were still CDs to install the software, it was very straight forward.

I have not encountered any stability issues with this version at all; a very vast improvement from some of the earlier versions.

I have not encountered any scalability issues; AirMagnet has made some substantial improvements with the product with each release.

The Gold Support is the best that I have dealt with. Everyone that I have encountered is very knowledgeable with the product and issues are quickly resolved, especially the ones are user orientated!!

AirMagnet was the first product that we have used since day one. We also use Ekahau in our tool kit.

Setup is very easy, very straightforward just download the new software and license and you are good to go.

It is worth mentioning that you need to delete the current version of software you are using before installing a newer version.

The MAJOR concern that I have with AirMagnet is the cost of the Gold Support renewal. It is very costly compared to Ekahau.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options; AirMagnet at that time was the only product available.

What other advice do I have?

The product is very good and I highly recommend it, especially if you have to present the survey finding to clients.

This is an absolutely needed tool for the WLAN professional!!