Akamai CloudTest Review

Helps to cater to on-demand capacity and load and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to do performance testing and load testing to determine which applications we release on the market to end-users. Before they go to the production environment, we perform a couple of tests to determine the threshold or maximum capacity our backend can handle. So we look at the capacity of our infrastructure and see if our backend can expand, how much it expands, where it goes, how it scales and if it impacts the response time. We can test all these features using Akamai CloudTest.

How has it helped my organization?

Since we run a lot of marketing campaigns on our products, we don't have the exact user capacity requirements. After running the load test we can determine the capacity our backend can handle. Based on that, we can make sure that our infrastructure is optimized. It helps us to cater to on-demand capacity and load, which helps to keep in mind the response time or the performance of applications for the end-users. We don't move it during peak hours, because our response time in applications become slower and unresponsive, or they simply behave differently.

What is most valuable?

Akamai Cloud Test provides detailed analysis during load and performance testing which helps in determining different components of our platforms and external integrations with other vendors needs optimization (i.e.) it highlights exact API call with request, response, error, TTFB to identify root cause of failure which in turn helps in improving time to resolution and prioritize change requests.

What needs improvement?

Akamai cloud test integration into our current CI/CD pipelines (i.e.) identify and resolve the issues during the sprint phase which helps in delivering an absolute product and reduces time to market/release.

I have been using Akamai CloudTest for about a year now.

I would say the solution is stable because we don't use it every day. We only use it when we have a load test or when we have new versions of applications going out. The stability depends upon how the integration and setup are done. For every new release and every new change, a few things need to be tweaked but it is not something very complex.

The solution is scalable.

We looked at a couple of other applications like Apache JMeter, Gatling, and a few other low-cost open-sourced applications, but with those applications, you need to have a complete setup or complete integration in the backend. The scalability becomes a problem and that is why we didn't choose them. These solutions also didn't give us a real user experience and parameter tweaking with open-source was not possible. With Akamai CloudTest all of this is quite easy and possible to perform.

The level of support is quite good and the integration is also very flexible because the solution has modules of integration and you can use their public cloud and you can integrate the backend. The initial setup was not very complex as it is based on the niche.

What other advice do I have?

It all depends on what you're looking for, but this solution is exactly what we need for performance testing and load testing of this. We never have to panic during campaigns, because I usually don't know what's going to be the response. Thanks to the testing that can be done beforehand, I know what to expect from other vendors. This is the response time I expect from them. My rating for Akamai CloudTest is, therefore, nine out of ten.