Apache Kafka Review

Good performance and resilience, but it is complex and has a learning curve

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution architect and this is one of the products that I implement for my customers.

Kafka works well when subscribes want to stream data for specific topics.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance.

What needs improvement?

Kafka is complex and there is a little bit of a learning curve.

I have been using Apache Kafka for between one and two years.

Resilience-wise, Kafka is very good.

Kafka is a very scalable system. You can have multiple, scalable architectures.

I have not seen any problems with technical support. There is licensed support available, which is not the case with all open-source solutions. Open-source products often have issues when it comes to getting support.

I have customers who were using IBM MQ but they have been switching to open-source.

The initial setup was straightforward for me. However, it is not straightforward for everyone because there are some tricky things to implement. In single-mode it is a little bit easier, but when it is set up as a distributed system then it is more complex because there are a lot of things to be considered.

Kafka is open-source and it is cheaper than any other product.

There is a competing open-source solution called NATS but I see that Apache Kafka is widely used in many places.

Performance-wise, Kafka is better than any of the other products.

What other advice do I have?

This is currently the product that I am recommending to customers. Some customers want an open-source solution.

There are some newer products that are coming on to the market that are even faster than Kafka but this solution is very resilient.

In the long run, I think that open-source will dominate the pace.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Apache Kafka reviews from users
...who compared it with IBM MQ
Learn what your peers think about Apache Kafka. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,748 professionals have used our research since 2012.