ARCON Privileged Access Management Review

Passwords are automatically changed within our system

What is our primary use case?

We have a team of people who do the administration activity for servers and databases before our kiosk came into the picture. They used to share a common user ID along with the password among each other. Now, after our kiosks came in, they login into our kiosks with their old user ID, enter the ID, and the underlying connection is a common ID, but the password, they do not know.

How has it helped my organization?

Initially when we started, the function for automatic password change was not available. Also, Windows-based logins were not available. These two features came in later on about four to five years back. These functions have helped improve the product within our organization.

What is most valuable?

Once logged into our kiosk, I can go to 10 different servers and everything is logged. We can use this to identify which user is logged in, because the login being using to connect to servers will be a common ID, and that ID will not tell you who is the person logged in is.

With this log available, we can drill down to the activities performed by the people within our kiosk. There is a great feature where in the case of Unix servers, we have our own text-based logs. In the case of Window's server, we cannot create a text-based log, so our kiosk takes the screenshot or picture of the screen when I am working. It does this every three seconds.

Another feature is the password can be changed automatically. For example, if you have a 60 day password change policy, your cards will change the password on its own and keep it within the system.

What needs improvement?

The auto-password change feature which was recently added. It is supposed to change the password. However, in some cases, while changing the password, it has caused me to lose to connection due to network-related issues or something similar. What we need to have is a type of log for failure of password change. We would like to have something that somebody can act upon, then rectified the problem.

More than five years.

We have not had any issues in the last eight to 10 years. When we were just implementing or just after implementation for six months or so, there were some stabilization issues, but those were immediately resolved.

Our kiosk structure is a very good structure. It will just connect to a server and show you the screen.

They have very good support. They provide 24/7 support, because we do critical things, and also we work 24/7. Therefore, if an issue comes up, we require support, and they fix it.

There was a previous solution, but it was not writing in the logs properly. It was writing the logs only for the Unix-based system, which is text-based. Those logs were available. However, Windows and other systems were not available in that previous system.

The initial setup was very simple. There was only one server we had to setup. We needed to store all the passwords, and a secure database is used. There is a product center, so if production goes down, it will immediately switch, and our work will continue as is.

The initial set up of the Client installation on each and every server. This is a slightly critical thing, but we had to make sure everything was perfectly installed.

Implementation went very smoothly because you are just changing the password on the back-end and handing it over to our kiosk, which will take care of it.

There are no major concerns with licensing because we can handle multiple servers in our kiosk system.

This was over 18 years ago. We looked an IBM and CA product (something with single sign-on).

What other advice do I have?

The first time, we manually updated the password. Afterwards, it changed on its own automatically.

For our requirements, this is the best product out there.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Sanjeet Kumar BhuyanReal UserTOP 10

Good thing with this is the auditing.

04 July 18