AWS Database Migration Service Review

Excellent migration services that are easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for a database migration.

What is most valuable?

I like that I can focus on the logic and I don't have to worry about the administration stuff. AWS handles that for me.

What needs improvement?

There's some functionality that we're waiting on, like the problem scheduler. It's not yet supported in the current product.

The solution could use schedule linking. I'm keen to get that from the solution in the future.

I've been using the solution for one year.

We haven't had any issues with the stability of the solution. It's quite stable.

The solution rates high on scalability. It's very good. We're still migrating, but right now, we have about 100-150 users per day.

Support could be more expedient. Right now I am waiting on support for an extension.

We didn't previously use another solution.

The initial setup had a medium amount of difficulty. It's not overly complex. It's not also straightforward. We're trying to put everything in post. There's a bit more complexity in the implementation process. We're still in the middle of migration, so I'm not sure how long deployment will actually take to complete.

We evaluated HVR as well as DMS. We ultimately chose DMS because of the costs and the licensing they offered. Also, our needs were quite simple. We didn't really need HVR to do the migration.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.