AWS Database Migration Service Overview

AWS Database Migration Service is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Data Integration tools. It is most often compared to Oracle GoldenGate: AWS Database Migration Service vs Oracle GoldenGate

What is AWS Database Migration Service?

AWS Database Migration Service helps you migrate databases to AWS quickly and securely. The source database remains fully operational during the migration, minimizing downtime to applications that rely on the database. The AWS Database Migration Service can migrate your data to and from most widely used commercial and open-source databases.

AWS Database Migration Service is also known as AWS Data Migration Service.

AWS Database Migration Service Buyer's Guide

Download the AWS Database Migration Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

AWS Database Migration Service Customers

Veoci, Trimble, Nasdaq, shaadi.com, Hotelbeds, SysAid, Verizon, Expedia, Pega

AWS Database Migration Service Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS Database Migration Service pricing:
  • "Pricing can be improved."
  • "The pricing can be better and it should be more competitive."

AWS Database Migration Service Reviews

reviewer1439130
Digital Services & Engagement Senior Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 4, 2020
Stable service but requires additional applications for full functionality

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is that I can easily automate. I don't want many resources working on setting up a new IDE and creating an application and so on. We can make use of the existing applications in the cloud and I can do a workflow management very easily.

• "The process is now simplified because there won't be maintenance. Usually we can take a snapshot of the number I need. We can automate the backup snapshots and we can restore it very quickly. We get many benefits from the application."
  • "Migrating from here and pushing the data from on-premise to AWS cloud is a big challenge and a few more services from AWS would be helpful. For example, we are currently using ILDB internet tools which move data from on-premise to the AWS cloud. A few more services would be really helpful for me to move the master data."

What other advice do I have?

I have not explored other solutions like GCP or Azure, but I have used the AWS side. On a scale of one to ten, I would give AWS Database Migration a seven. This score is because of a few difficulties I faced when setting it up. Because I worked on different applications on a couple of projects, I cannot completely make use of the AWS database. Maybe that is a developer mistake or something. That's the reason I am rating it a seven for now.
Alvaro Quiroga Toledo
Senior Solutions Architect at DBSolution
Feb 5, 2021
A database migration service that's highly user-friendly, but needs more migration tools

What is our primary use case?

I use AWS Database Migration Service to migrate Oracle databases and PostgreSQL databases. I work with both databases and work with different migration scenarios.

• "The tools are very user-friendly."
  • "I think that Amazon needs to improve the migration scenarios after analytics"

What other advice do I have?

AWS is the leading provider of cloud services. It has extensive experience in this kind of scenario. The other cloud providers need to improve their tools and their licensing procedures. In this case, the licensing procedures are very complex for migration scenarios. On a scale from one to ten, I would give AWS Database Migration Service a seven.
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Oracle, HVR Software and others in Cloud Data Integration. Updated: February 2021.
465,891 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Oracledev67
Lead Oracle Developer and DevOps Engineer at Versent
Aug 21, 2019
Excellent migration services that are easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for a database migration.

• "I like that I can focus on the logic and I don't have to worry about the administration stuff. AWS handles that for me."
  • "Support could be more expedient. Right now I am waiting on support for an extension."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
reviewer1250898
Consultant Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 12, 2020
Good DNS services and has good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We use this program to migrate from SQL to RDS, or from Oracle to RDS, or from Oracle to Aurora and so on.

What is most valuable?

I find the DNS services to be the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The pricing can be better and it should be more competitive, so I would like to see an improvement there.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for more than ten years now.

The program is very stable.

I was very impressed by the scalability of AWS Database Migration Service. One of our clients has more than 15,000 users.

We…
SwagatamRout
Tech Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Dec 18, 2019
Low-maintenance and quite scalable but needs to offer a dedicated bandwidth

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution to migrate our archive and data, which we are storing in our local servers, to the cloud.

• "As the solution is on the cloud, we don't have to worry about the maintenance of software."
  • "It would be helpful if the bandwidth could be independent of the network or if we could have a dedicated bandwidth for this product."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. We use the public cloud deployment model. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
Product Categories
Cloud Data Integration
Download our free Cloud Data Integration Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Oracle, HVR Software, and more!