Azure Data Factory Review

A straightforward solution with a nice interface and ability to integrate with GitHub

What is our primary use case?

We are working on a data warehouse integration which means that I am working on some big data projects. I'm preparing data for the licensing. One of the projects is preparing data in Azure Data Lake, to run some transformation scripts, perform some ETL processing, and to fulfill the stage layer of the data warehouse. It means that I help with ETL use cases.

What is most valuable?

I like the feature that allows you to connect to different sources. You can go through forms and click on them and you don't have to provide the scripts. The solution has a good interface and the integration with GitHub is very useful.

There is also a self-service integration that allows you to run the BTS pages on the SQL server from an SIS. Users have an option to configure this self-service integration engine to run items as a part of a pipeline of the Azure data factory.

What needs improvement?

I think more integration with existing Azure platform services would be extremely beneficial.

In the next release, it's important that some sort of scheduler for running tasks is added.  A built-in scheduling mechanism for running the treasury will be a very helpful improvement.

I implement this solution and have been doing so for two years.

I've never experienced any issues with the solution's stability.

The scalability of the connected engines makes this solution very scalable.

Although I've had to contact support for other Azure products, I haven't had to for this solution, so I can't speak to any experience with technical support directly.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's got a very nice welcome page where everything explained. Depending on the complexity, deployment takes only a few days. You only need one person for the deployment of the solution. This is dependent, however, on how many pipelines you are implementing. Afterward, you would probably only need one person to maintain it.

I'm an integrator, so I work with clients to help them implement the solution.

I'm not sure of the specific cost, but it is monthly and is somewhere in the ballpark of a few hundred Euros. You don't have to pay for extras. Everything is included in the cost.

What other advice do I have?

I don't use Azure Data Factory for my own company; I help clients implement the solution for their companies.

In terms of advice that I would give to others looking to implement the solution, I would say you have to learn. You have to really understand the overall concept. It does not allow you to just click and go.

I would rate this solution ten out of ten.