Azure Data Factory Review

Has the ability to copy data to any environment

What is our primary use case?

It's an integration platform, we migrate data across hybrid environments. We have data in our cloud environment or on-prem system so we use it for when we want to integrate data across different environments. It was a problem for us to get data from different hybrid environments.

What is most valuable?

From my experience so far, the best feature is the ability to copy data to any environment. We have 100 connectors and we can connect them to the system and copy the data from its respective system to any environment. That is the best feature.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could use improvement. It's not a major issue but it's something that can be improved.

It has the ability to create separate folders to organize objects, Data Factory objects. But any time that we created a folder we were not able to create objects. We had to drag and drop into the folder. There were no default options. It was manual work. We offered their team our feedback and they accepted my request.

I have been using Azure Data Factory for around one year.

Based on my experience with other products on the market, the stability is good.

I haven't had much experience with scalability. I know we do have scalability options though. It's used daily.

There are around 1,000 plus users using this solution in my company.

It requires two people for maintenance. The administrators are the ones who maintain it and give access to the engineers. They regulate who has privileges.

We have needed to contact their technical support. If we can't find the answers ourselves on the blogs, we contact them with our questions. We get most of the answers we need from the blogs but if not then we can directly speak to the Microsoft team from the Data Factory interface itself, it's really helpful.

I have only used Data Factory for the cloud. For on-prem we have used SSIS.

The initial setup was a bit complex but once you understand its setup, it's less complex. There are certain processes that need to be followed. Once you understand the process, it becomes easier to implement.

The implementation took a little less than one day. The planning for the deployment takes around one or two days.

We had a discussion with the Microsoft team about the data. We discussed how we were going to implement. Based on the discussion we were able to deploy. A Microsoft partner helped us with some parts.

We also evaluated AWS.

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give to someone considering this solution is to have some background in data warehousing and ETL concepts. Have the background about data warehousing and ETL that extract, transform, and load. If you have the background you need, you will be successful. If not, then my advice would be to learn a little more about it before using Data Factory.

I would rate Data Factory as an eight out of ten.

More Azure Data Factory reviews from users