Azure Stream Analytics Review

Helps us focus on critical security issues, among our multiple systems

What is our primary use case?

This solution is connected with our Microsoft license. We use the E3 license, which also includes the software and analytics. We bought it and we are trying to get the best we can from the software. For now, we have some analytics, what's happening, and one of our guys looks at it and prepares reports or maybe requests some additional interventions.

It is mostly for analysis so that when something happens we can analyze it and do something about it.

What is most valuable?

Our biggest pain point is our housekeeping. We have lot of systems, we must do a lot of configurations and, because of the number of systems is not a simple part of the job, we may forget something. This solution is something which reminds us of what should we do, what stuff is most critical, what we should work on.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have something that includes the desktops, and perhaps the main system, so we can protect our systems before a threat happens.

My experience with it is that it is stable. The stability is okay and we are satisfied with it.

Our system has approximately 700 servers and a lot of other components and we are satisfied with it at this level.

We went with it because we had it. We had the opportunity to use it and started to do so. Before that, we had several areas where we wanted to improve our status. This is a tool we can check with from Microsoft and, for now, it is good for us.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor is that the product is user-friendly. A lot of tools that are rated highly in industry reviews have complicated configurations. We would like something which is friendly enough for its administrator to use, to configure. Another criterion is price. We look for solutions we can afford. We read a lot of free white papers and try to find partners that have favorable write-ups. We use the software and do a phone conference where we can discuss further questions which are important to us.

Our firm works in the former Yugoslavia: Croatia, Bosnia, and Serbia, Macedonia, and Montenegro. The prices are different in these markets. Of course, we always want to have the lowest price but that doesn't mean price is the main factor when buying something. It is one of them, for sure. Maybe we cannot afford the most sophisticated tool there is, so price is important, but not the most important thing when we buy something.

We use Microsoft Analytics in the security department to try to raise the level of security analysis and security in general. We have implemented a lot of tools. We also have Nexpose for threat analytics, among others. Microsoft Analytics is just one of them and we implemented it because we already had it.

We tried to buy something for the desktop level. We also have systems like anti-virus, anti-malware, but these are all systems which only partly cover the threats which are now mainstream. So we would like to have a tool we can use that is faster, maybe with predictive analytics.

What other advice do I have?

We have a mixed system. We also use IBM AIX in addition to the Microsoft platform. That means that ATP works successfully with Microsoft for us. If you want to implement it, the benefits are greater if you have a Microsoft in the surrounding systems.

Implementation is always easy. The hard part is then when you must have to use it, when you must work with it. An important part is education, this shouldn't be neglected.

I would rate Azure Analytics at eight out of 10. It gives us what we need, we are satisfied with the results.