Bacula Enterprise Review

Easy to use, stable, and offers many tools and features

What is our primary use case?

We have three central servers, each one backing up the machines on their respective site. We have a combination of servers and other storage devices.

It is a standard backup solution where we have an incremental backup every night. We do a differential backup on Sundays and then a full backup on a monthly basis. We also do a restore task once a month to verify the backup.

How has it helped my organization?

A few years ago, we had a big crash that involved one of the backup servers. We were able to fully restore the backup, even after losing the indexes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ease of use. It works great and it provides you with several standard tools to restore your backup, even after a big failure.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs to be easier for adding new devices to be managed. It is easy for a skilled person to use, but for others who are not as skilled from a technical perspective, it is not as easy to manage. It is not the type of solution where you can just keep clicking on the Next button.

The file deduplication capability needs to be improved.

Easier setup and configuration, perhaps including a GUI, would be an improvement.

I have been using Barracuda Backup for more than 12 years.

We have not had any issues with the stability of Barracuda Backup.

We have been able to cover all of our use cases. I would say that it is suitable for small and medium-sized companies.

We have never had a need to contact technical support.

The initial setup is not difficult for a technical person. Our deployment took a couple of days.

Our internal team maintains this solution.

This is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to take your time and have patience with the initial setup and configuration. Once it is set up properly, it is a good system to use. If, on the other hand, you are really eager and want to use this solution in five minutes then it is not a good system for you. Once you get through the learning phase, it is very good.

Overall, this is a good solution but there are a few small features missing. Because it is open-source, it is somewhat slower to follow the standards set by similar commercial products.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Bacula Enterprise reviews from users
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Find out what your peers are saying about Bacula Systems, Veeam Software, Acronis and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.