CA Agile Central Review

Everyone is more aligned and has a better understanding of all of the work that is happening, not just pieces of it.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features are the team-level interactions tracking of stories, features, and sprint. We do all of our budget tracking with it and CA PPM, and then our teams are working through Rally, so for me it's really easy to go in there and be able to see what is going on. I can see where things are assigned and where I should be worried about risks. For example, I can very easily see that a team has 10 stories on a feature and all of them are assigned future sprints, so I feel good about that.

It's also a very simple tool to use. I find it easy to go up and down the hierarchies -- going from initiative to element features all the way down to a story level. I think it navigates pretty well.

Then reporting is probably the other thing that I like about it. It's got a good reporting engine with it.

Lots of customizability. I know we created a few of our own reports and then a lot of the out-of-the-box reports are pretty useful as well.

Improvements to My Organization

I think it got everyone aligned. I would say that's probably the most helpful thing, whereas before that I think that teams were just managing backlogs of spreadsheets or whatever they had or whatever they were doing beforehand. I'm not quite sure. I came in right after we started implementing it so I didn't really see what was there beforehand. I do know that just from when I first started to today, everyone is more aligned and has a better understanding of all of the work that is happening, not just pieces of it. It has an API that connects it with CA PPM.

I know you connect CA PPM to other agile tools as well, not just routers. I know a lot of people are hoping for that and a portfolio RPM are kind of pieces of it, but I don't think it's quite there yet. I would like to see it be a little more integrated going forward.

Room for Improvement

The portfolio side of it needs improving, especially integration into CA PPM. It would be nice to hopefully see some of those have a little bit more connections.

I know we do a lot of high level planning and it seems like there are a lot of duplicate features back and forth, and it's kind of like, pick one or the other at this point. It would be nice if they talked a little bit more. For example, we'd really like a better integration with Rally.

I don't use it daily, but there seems to be no stability issues.

We ran into some problems with archiving some old stuff but we created a separate tree and that's where we put all the archive stuff. It's still there, it's still accessible but it's not messing with the reports of your enterprise.

I've just used our internal technical support.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

Other Advice

Make sure you understand your processes and just know that it's not the tool. It's more about the process and how you work with it right. I know we did our last upgrade with Clarity and we didn't have our processes all the way defined. We started implementing things in the tool only to find they broke later, so we didn't have that process defined. Make sure you understand what you need before you start.