CA APM Review

Valuable featues include Transaction Tracing, Trace Views, and easy configuration/instrumentation

What is most valuable?

1. Transaction Tracing
  2. Cross JVM Transaction tracing
  3. Trace Views
  4. Integration of Introscope and CEM making a full APM tool meant for diagnostics (using Introscope) and end-user experience (using CEM) tool.
  5. Easy way of configuration and Instrumentation.
  6. Less components required to install and capture the performance metrics (for e.g. a single EM installation for repository, processing server and portal server)

How has it helped my organization?

Identifying the performance bottlenecks in every environment (UAT, SIT and Prod) including features for Service Monitoring (through alerts).

What needs improvement?

Dashboards needs improvement for better look and feel. They are more for a technical guy rather than for Business managers. Inability to get integrated with IDE (like Eclipse, NetWeaver etc) makes it less popular in Dev environment. Introscope lacks the information of User metrics. Graph with datapoints limit to 100 matching metrics restraints the use of Wily for big infrastructure where there are too many data points.

1.5 years

I had and issues but it was resolved through CA support or CA Community.

Considering our large scale infrastructure and number of deployments, it is pretty much stable.

CA support responds well but solution delivery is not at par. The CA Community does a great job at helping resolve issues.

8 out of 10.

I had used several tools but for different projects.

As mentioned before, it's very easy to setup. No multiple product Suites for different things. For e.g: for a standalone application environment, agents+EM (wily server) are the major components to be installed to get the things working.

In-house (as a part of CoE) and working myself as a vendor for one of our large financial organization customers (helping them to make best use of Wily APM).

What other advice do I have?

I suggest using CA APM if you have some techie's on your team. For BA's and Managers, this tool will not satisfy their expectations. But for a person with a little bit of technical knowledge it is the best tool on the market to enhance application performance.