CA APM Review

​We're primarily using it for production-system monitoring of application errors, slowness, things like that. However, it has too much out-of-the-box overhead that will impact your application.

Valuable Features

If you have a large web firm or a group of servers, it does a great job of aggregating performance metrics into single viewable graphs or dashboards.

Improvements to My Organization

We're primarily using it for production-system monitoring of application errors, slowness, things like that. I identify issues for our customers.

Room for Improvement

It's a very manual process, I believe, in the current version that we're using, which is 9.5. So you have to spend a lot of time analyzing the metrics to determine what thresholds you want alerts on. For example, you want response time for an application. You have to baseline that response time and then develop your systems around those. Sometimes the baselining is more difficult because you have an expectation of a response time to be slower during some periods of times than others, and you don't want to set off false alarms. So it would be great if that process did not have to be done manually.

There's a lot of improvements that could be made. I think the newer versions that are coming out go a long way towards that. Back to the baselining thing, there's a lot of automated baselines now, and they provide differential analysis of whether or not something's going wrong as compared to how it normally should be running.

Also, it could use better views into the system, of a transaction flowing through the system.

It takes a long time to get it set up and configured in your applications and running. And out of the box, what I have found is that when you take the system, if you just drop it on your application, the overhead of the agents and the monitoring and the collection of all the data is out-of-the-box, and it's too much and will impact your application. So, what we have done, in the most recent deployment, is gone to a very scaled-back version of the application and sort of added in until we were satisfied that we were collecting the data that we needed, and balancing that with not impacting the application to the customers.

For the most part, it's been stable. It's an agent product, so there's agents out on the servers. We've found that they run in services. There has been situations where the agent will disconnect or things like that, and then we're not getting metrics until someone notices it.

I'm using it primarily for our front-end websites and our mobile-banking sites. So we're probably running 250,000 clients through the system.

Technical support is really good. I'm very happy with them.

It wasn't my decision. When I joined the company, they already had it, but they weren't using it. So, some of the applications that I was responsible for, I saw that we could leverage it and so I began using it.

Free Trial

No credit card required. It's easy and free for 30 days.