CA APM Review
The ability to deep dive into the root cause of any given issue has always been the most valuable feature. The feature that helps the most in the triage is the transaction trace component.

Valuable Features

The ability to deep dive into the root cause of any given issue has always been the most valuable feature. JAVA and .NET applications are black boxes without any sort of monitoring. Being able to determine which component is causing the issue helps to pinpoint the issue and allows the triage teams to focus on the actual component causing the issue. The feature that helps the most in the triage is the transaction trace component. The transaction trace feature allows us to look all the components that are called during a particular transaction.

Improvements to My Organization

When there is an outage or performance issue, the on-call teams are called to a conference line where we can triage the issue. Before APM was used, these calls would require all areas of support, which include network, server team, middleware, database and any other areas of expertise. Now, the Incident Management team has a set of APM dashboards that allow them to narrow down the issue and call the specific team(s) to the bridge call. One of the first questions that is asked now on the bridge calls is, “What does APM show?” For example, if it was a database issue, we can tell which query or stored procedure is having the issue.

Room for Improvement

One of the areas that I think needs improvement is the central management of the agents. I know that CA has started working toward this in its current releases with APM Command Center, but it still has a long way to go. One of the hardest things about the upgrades is upgrading all of the agents.

Another thing that is difficult is when you need to make a configuration change to a set of properties, it has to be done manually.

I believe all these things are on the future road map of the product, but right now they are a major hurdle for us.

Use of Solution

I have used this product personally for over 15 years. I have used it at three different companies which include a utility company, banking institution and a healthcare insurance company. The current company that I work for has used it for over eight years, and we recently upgraded to v10.1.

There have been no issues with the deployment.

The overall stability of the product is very good. The only time I normally see issues is right after an upgrade. Sometimes a few tweaks are necessary to stabilize everything after an upgrade. It might require a small change to the EM configuration or an agent configuration change. This is normally because of a new feature that was introduced.

We have not had any issues with scalability. We have been able to add Collectors as needed to support the growing number of agents that we support. I think in comparison to some other APM users we have a pretty small footprint. We have a staging and production environment. Each environment has one MOM and seven collectors with about 400 agents.

The level of support has been like a rollercoaster ride. Early on when it was owned by Wily, the service was great, but right after the purchase by CA it when downhill. I generally try not to go to support unless I have to, but I must say over the past six months, it has improved greatly. My cases have been handled very well and escalated to higher-level engineers when necessary.

There was nothing in place previously.

The initial setup was very straightforward. We only had three collectors with only about 120 agents. When we first starting using the tool, we only used the Introscope component. Overtime, we added the CEM and Synthetic Monitoring tool. So it got more complex over time but at each step we had the right support from CA to help us through the difficult parts.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I personally don’t deal with the pricing and licensing, so I don’t have anything to offer here.

Other Advice

It is a great product but not quite perfect. My advice would to be make sure you have a champion on the user side. It is a hard sell in my opinion if you don’t have someone from the application support side that will help sell the tool. It doesn’t do anyone any good if you have a monitoring tool and no one uses it.

Free Trial

No credit card required. It's easy and free for 30 days.

3 Comments

Randall HindsReal UserELITE SQUADTOP 5

Agreed on all points, but I would say most are true of all APM tools I've worked with (CA/Tivoli/Dynatrace/AppDynamics/etc). Comments regarding CA's poor support resonate, but after 3+ yrs we didn't wait longer for the improvements noted. Don't get me started on the cost & licensing aspects... Between concerns on support & cost, we had justification to re-evaluate our standard for APM.

23 March 16
Manish A. ParikhReal User

Agree on all points. Support can definitely use some improvements. Cost efficiency, or lack there of, needs to improve also (with licensing and product cost). Certainly one of the better robust tool with deep dive capability. Still need to work on seamless integration between Introscope, CEM , CC etc...

24 March 16
Randall HindsReal UserELITE SQUADTOP 5

THIS! Amen, Manish. Sing it, brother!

24 March 16