Broadcom DX Application Performance Management Review

We remediate issues with quicker turn around time. Our developers trust the information we provide them.

What is most valuable?

CA APM gives us a holistic view of our applications, specifically regarding performance monitoring. We are able to see errors in the code that users would experience and then give that information to our developers to troubleshoot. For example, some of the errors we see are error 404 or 500. There are also "stalled transaction” errors that pop up. The fact that APM collects information every 15 seconds is a good thing.

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to remediate issues with quicker turn around time. So instead of taking a couple days to figure out what the issue is, we're able to figure that out probably within half-an-hour.

It helps us by simplifying the triage of application performance issues. We have a buy in from our developers that they're able to trust the information that we provide them. It has proven itself. It's really a trusted source of monitoring.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration with third party monitoring applications from an API perspective. We could inject information, such as metrics, and state health, and be able to put it into one view.

For example, we have SolarWinds, Microsoft SCOM and Operations Manager. I think those are the three biggest ones including CA.

There are a couple of improvements that could be done on the agent side of APM. The agent stops collecting data if the machine is under stress. We lose that visibility at the worst time that it could be happening. I understand the agent works according to a store-and-forward type of architecture, so there's only so much it could do. Perhaps there is a different way that they could collect the data, rather then depending on whether the machine is up or not.

It scales okay, but there are some limitations as far as the amount of collectors you need to be able to scale.

I would say technical support is pretty good. I don't have any complaints. I get a response time in a fair amount of time, depending on the issue.

I was not involved with initial setup, but I have been involved in multiple upgrades of the APM product. It has been pretty straightforward.

We've checked out AppDynamics, and Microsoft Operations Manager, which is an APM solution as well, but it leans more towards the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend CA APM to anyone that's looking to triage any kind of application performance monitoring.

More Broadcom DX Application Performance Management reviews from users
...who compared it with Dynatrace
2 Comments

author avatarLea Goldberger

Did you have a different product you were using before? If so, why did you choose to replace it?

author avatarit_user558222 (Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees)

Hello Lea, CA APM did not replace an existing product. We use CA APM to specifically address Application Performance Monitoring alongside other monitoring tools- i.e. SCOM and Solarwinds. Each product we use have their strengths and we focus on using the strengths of each monitoring product to provide the most value to our IT consumers.