CA APM Review
Enables a proactive approach to identifying system issues.

What is most valuable?

It gives us a lot more in-depth information that we previously didn't have for monitoring capabilities. Some of the new tools will allow us to get issues into the hands of the right support staff immediately.

How has it helped my organization?

We're using this solution to turn our support into being more of proactive approach than reactive to issues that are reported to us from the customers. We're actually trying to bring those issues to their attention before they bring it to our attention. With new features in version 10.5, it looks like we're taking more of an inside out approach to actually bringing the root cause immediately to our attention. This is instead of us having to start and dig down to identify what the root cause was. It brings it right to the forefront immediately without requiring additional triage. It's really changing the way that we're doing our business. This improvement is not only from a monitoring perspective where we're getting advanced notice of system issues that are occurring, but I'm actually using it as a tool to even identify where there are tuning opportunities based on our current configuration. We are also using it in working towards global standardization for our entire client base, which is something that's been lacking. It was very difficult to find all of that information in one place, readily available, and historical information like transaction activities and things of that nature. They're all now available at our fingertips, whereas before that just wasn't a possibility.

What needs improvement?

One of things that I've noticed is that in the desktop product there are some features that are really nice that are not available in APM WebView. I know that there's a concerted effort to make sure that everything will be included in the WebView portion of that, but it’s not there yet. I actually spend most of my time using Introscope, because of those features that are really useful to me personally.

I don't think we've been faced with too many challenges with stability. I know that very early on in adoption that we were having some crashes, but it's being relatively stable for the last number of weeks, even months.

We've rolled this out for a single one of our products and we're already exploring the potential of expanding that across the company to incorporate multiple products. It's something that we're definitely considering.

I have not used technical support, but the feedback that I've gotten from our system engineers is that it's been tremendous actually.

Previous to using this solution, we had a really large gap in our monitoring tools, and so it was just something that needed to be addressed, and CA APM was the right solution for us.

I was involved in the installation on more of the functional side of things. I wasn’t involved in configuration. I haven't done any of the engineering work. I was involved in setting up business transactions and a lot of those features. Initially, this setup was little bit overwhelming. I think it does take some time to get up to speed to understand how to navigate through the product, but once you get comfortable and familiar with it, it's pretty intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting an APM product, I would suggest looking at the cost benefit. Find out if they are competitive with pricing, and if you are going to get return on your investment. I think I would just share some of the success that we've had already today, including, like I said, that shift of being reactive to proactive, and sharing some of the new advancements that are being made in the most recent releases that are going to make that experience even better.

Free Trial

No credit card required. It's easy and free for 30 days.