CA OPS/MVS Event Management and Automation Review

It automates responses, preventing issues from becoming more severe

What is our primary use case?

Our use case now includes the addition of two new LPARs. OPS/MVS is implemented on both additional LPARs.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the biggest advantages is the prevention of problems from getting more severe. If you know what's going on, and if there are things that you can do to automate your responses, it makes your life easier. I now get very few calls during the on-call period and, in part, it's because we know what's going on and can automate responses.

What is most valuable?

To me, the most valuable features are its ease-of-use and being able to clone some of what you've done with some of the rules. It makes it really easy to administer. I've had people tell me that it's one of the best automated systems they've ever worked on.

What needs improvement?

I just installed version 12.3, which actually already has a number of new features. It's going to make it easier for some of our new users.

I'm old-school, I learned it the old way. I actually want to go back and implement it and start doing things the new way. As I need to train people, it's going to make it easier for them and make the learning curve much shorter.

The new release addressed some shortcomings of the product. It was old-school. The learning curve was a little bit long in the beginning, but it's really come a long way.

It's been an extremely stable product. For all of the upgrades that I've ever done with the product, I don't think I've ever had a problem that was just from the product itself. There were a couple issues that I introduced myself, but they were easily explained and easily fixable.

Scalability is really good because, for the few systems that we have, it easily manages the message workload that we put out and could really handle much more. I know of much larger sites that are using OPS/MVS for their automation and these other companies wouldn't be using it if it wasn't scalable to the extent that it is.

Support for the product has been very good. I don't think I've ever had to open a problem ticket with the vendor on this product, unlike some others we've had.

CA's support has always been very good, and I’ve always gotten quick responses for everything that I've done.

The licensing structure and pricing are comparable to what we've been used to paying and maybe even better. Just the fact that we're getting an overall better product, better suited for what we want to do, makes it worth the money.

What other advice do I have?

For what it was produced for, it's an excellent product. It's done everything that we wanted to do with the product and more, which has been a really big help for us. It's made my job much easier. It's very sustainable and an extremely stable product over the last cycle that we have had it.

They continue to enhance the product and make it easier for even more general users to use.

After using it for some time, I still feel it's a great product: easy to install, implement, and administer.