CA OPS/MVS Event Management and Automation Review

Easy to upgrade and easy to maintain

What is our primary use case?

Mainframe: Everything from message suppression to posting jobs in CA 7 and opening tickets.

It is performing well.

How has it helped my organization?

It watches the slug, the BDIs, and the other systems that we have. It alerts the operators when it is time to repair the communications and the IPLs.

What is most valuable?

I do not have to keep recordings. It is there and is proactive. It helps the operators, human editors, and me.

What needs improvement?

I am not using all the stuff that I could use now, so I do not know. It is working very well for us.

There is just so much in there that I am not utilizing, though I might not need to utilize. It is just not knowing everything in the product.

More than five years.

It is very stable. We have had very few problems with the product itself. Mostly like parameter numbers, things change. It needs to figure it all out, and suggest parameter changes.

It is good. Variability with a lot of content. Not a lot of issues and it is automated. Easy to upgrade and easy to support.

The service has been wonderful. I like the people that I have had to deal with. The process is very straightforward. I call or use the website.

The follow-up surprised me. Making sure that I am happy with what I have gone to them on. They will call after I have made changes and verify that I am happy with the changes that I did have to make. If it did not fix the complete problem, they go back over it until I am satisfied.

I was not involved in the initial setup, though I have created and brought in new releases and stuff. The upgrades are pretty easy. When I do have questions, they usually walk me through it.

I don't know which vendors that we were looking at. I was before my time at the company.

I do believe we selected the solution because it was the most robust at the time and the easiest to maintain.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution. It is a very friendly solution: Easy to upgrade and it is pretty self-contained. It does everything you need it to.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Responsiveness of support.
  • Easy to follow instructions. A lot of times you open a manual and it is like a foreign language to you, if you don't have the knowledge upfront. You need a vendor there to explain it, and CA has been very helpful.