CA OPS/MVS Event Management and Automation Review

The simplicity means easy adoption; for us it's flexible and scalable across the enterprise

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor day-to-day activity in the system and to automate things like start-up, start a task. Basic overall health of the mainframe, and day-to-day business as usual.

It has performed very well.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to respond faster to issues. If there are issues that come out, we're able to capture a message and alert somebody about it.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of it, as far as getting new people to use the tool.

It's very flexible. You can customize what you need to, which is good. For example, you can do your own coding inside the tool, make your own scripting tooling.

The scalability. We're able to use it across our whole enterprise.

What needs improvement?

It does everything we need right now, I can't know of anything else we really need at the moment.

If I really had to put my finger on anything, mainframe tools are pretty old as far as the pricing models. Maybe that could be improved. Should I be able to buy whatever I want, and then I pay for what I use? Or maybe I don't pay anything for the product, and I then pay for the support. More of an open-source model.

More than five years.

It's good. It's been very stable for us, for the 10 years we've had it.

Like I mentioned earlier, it goes across the enterprise, so it's been very scalable.

We use technical support all the time for it. We're a big shop, we have a large enterprise of system. So there are a lot of issues that come up, or sometimes it may just be a question about the product. Maybe we're doing an upgrade and you need to know, "Am I doing the right thing?"

They're good. We haven't had any issues. Responsive, absolutely.

The path we were going down was between IBM and CA, and we thought about which one we should go with. For us, the flexibility and scalability is what sold us on this.

Just IBM, in addition to CA.

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criterion when selecting a vendor is how closely do we partner with them, that is the biggest thing for us. What kind of attention do they give us when we have issues? We're satisfied with that with CA.

I give it an eight out of 10. There is always room for improvement. To get it to a 10, I will know when they do it. Maybe it's cheaper, maybe it's some new flexibility in the product that we've never even thought about. If they anticipate the industry, what's going forward, what's out there, is it something that you would maybe use it in the cloud.

For the mainframe it's a really good automation tool. It's been really solid for what we needed it for, and it's been flexible and scalable across the enterprise.