CA OPS/MVS Event Management and Automation Review

OPS/REXX allows us almost unlimited flexibility in automating our system

What is our primary use case?

We use it to automate our responses to messages, and to get early notification on potential problems. We also use it for orderly startups/shutdowns of the operating system and all started tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

We have eliminated human error in the startup of one of our most critical applications, thereby reducing the risk of unwanted downtime.

What is most valuable?

OPS/REXX, because it allows us almost unlimited flexibility in automating our system.

What needs improvement?

One thing that comes to mind is the MQ interface. The last time we tried to use it, it seemed a little clunky.

Also, performing a stop/restart of OPS/MVS could be a little smoother too. Without special coding, some undesired tasks will be started and some necessary tasks will be stopped if we have to bounce OPS/MVS during the day.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Superb. Every time I have an issue, tech support answers promptly, and they always have solutions.

We had been a user of AF/OPERATOR, and needed a replacement for it. We switched because of cost and because our implementation of AF/OPERATOR was substandard.

The setup was straightforward. We received on-site assistance from CA, and they not only helped us set up the system properly, they also made sure to transfer the knowledge to us.

We have looked at BMC's AutoOPERATOR.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. It's a superior product for automation.