CA Privileged Access Manager Review

So far, we’re using the RDP-gateway and the “published application” features

What is most valuable?

So far, we’re using the RDP-gateway and the “published application” features.

• The RDP-gateway: For limiting which server an operator can access.
  • The “published applications” feature: To minimize the exposure of sensitive usernames and passwords.

How has it helped my organization?

The exposure of sensitive usernames and passwords has been limited in a massive way. This allows us to give much needed access to LDAP servers and databases without the operator knowing the username and/or password. They just have a link to click on after logging into the PAM virtual appliance.

What needs improvement?

I’m no fan of Java as an application front-end, as it tends to have issues depending on what browser one’s using. Have nothing further right now due to limited exposure to the more technical parts of the product.

We’ve had it running for approximately six months so far.

No issues so far, except the typical Java/web-browser problems that all Java-based products have.

Do not know as of right now, as we only have one instance in production at the moment.

So far, I would rate it high. I have gotten fast and accurate answers to my questions and any issues have been resolved in a timely manner.

We used the now discontinued Shared Account Management component of CA Privileged Identity Manager.

The initial setup is really easy. The only thing to worry about is to add all needed networks to your virtual appliance prior to the initial boot. This is a pain and should be fixed in my opinion.

I do not know as I only work with the technical parts of the product, I do not worry about pricing and licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have all your network needs mapped out prior to installation, as you have to add all needed networks to the virtual appliance prior to the first boot.