CA Release Automation Review

Reuses the flow logic in multiple applications for deployment in different environments.

What is most valuable?

• Zero-code deployment process design: With this feature, it's easy to share, discuss, and debug the deployment logic with non-technical people.
  • Easy to orchestrate activities across multiple servers.
  • Easy to synchronize the changes so they happen at the right time in relation to each other and even to pass information between those servers.
  • Has a vast library of standard actions and action packs that cover 99% of use cases of the customers.
  • Has REST APIs and plugins to integrate with external systems such as Jenkins, ServiceNow, Puppet, and Chef.
  • Has a manifest-driven deployment and artifact package to easily reuse the same artifacts.
  • Reuses the flow logic in multiple applications for deployment on different environments and shared components.

How has it helped my organization?

With CA Release Automation, the customers whom I worked with were able to:

• Increase the number of deployments
  • Increase the deployment speed
  • Increase the number of concurrent deployments
  • Lower the error rate
  • Improve the visibility and the reliability of the deployment process

What needs improvement?

I would like to see:

• Improving the shared component features
  • Porting the versioning feature of the shared components to the classic components

We have used this solution for about two years.

The product was very stable and reliable. This was also the case in big installations with a lot of agents involved, thanks to the high availability architecture.

There were no scalability issues. It was designed with scalability in mind. It's easy to manage a big number of agents by adding a new execution server to the architecture.

The technical support is very good. They are always responsive and helpful, and try to resolve the issues promptly.

The initial setup is almost straightforward. The important thing is correctly sizing the architecture based on the number of agents to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend trying to build the continuous delivery pipeline, step-by-step. You can do this by integrating the external software solutions for building and testing, such as Jenkins Automation Testing.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work as consultant for a system integrator that provides professional services on CA Release Automation. The opinions expressed in this review are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer.