CA Release Automation Review

With the shared components feature, I created a common flow for applications.

What is most valuable?

I like the shared components and version control.

Shared components:

In my work, we have about 30 Java standalone applications, although every application is different and has specific behaviors. Nonetheless, I realized that all of them can be installed in the same way. I had to design only one flow for all of them. I found that the "Shared components" feature helps me.

I had to create my common flow like a "shared component". For every application, I only had to "import" that shared component. Another amazing thing was that if I had to change something in my shared component, I could easily reflect my changes to all of the applications.

Version Control:

The version control is important because the changes that I make in my shared component can be controlled. I can decide which version will work with which Java application.

How has it helped my organization?

Now we have automatic installations and it is very easy to promote the installation between environments.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a better way to re-use a task. If you are not aware of how to use and re-use the task, you can mix their content or lose data.

When you are creating a new flow, you should reuse a previously created task. My advice is to create a new task, even if it is similar to the one you already created. Every task has specific information. When you try to reuse it, you can overwrite the specific data from another flow that is using the same task.

We have used this solution for six months.

There are some stability issues. Sometimes, the server crashes or throws out of memory. And the import/export function sometimes doesn’t work.

There have been no scalability issues.

The technical support is excellent.

The installation was straightforward. Although we faced some problems, we realize that our flow could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Don't reuse actions. It is better to create a new one. Otherwise, you could lose data.