CA Test Data Manager Review

We are able to create test data for specific business case scenarios; it's user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to implement test data management.

It is a new implementation so there were some challenges. But so far, it has been good.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Portal that comes with the tool. That helps make it look much more user-friendly for the users.

Also its ease of use - even for developers it's not that complicated.

It gives us the ability to

• mask the data
  • sub-set the data
  • synthetically generate test data
  • create test data for specific business case scenarios

and more.

What needs improvement?

• Addition of more data sources.
  • Make the Portal a little more user-friendly, make it even easier to configure things directly from the Portal.

Less than one year.

It is stable, but it is not where even CA wants it to be. There have been numerous releases going on and there are still some we are waiting for. But, overall it's good.

It is scalable. This particular tool is  used by certain types of engineers, TDM engineers. But the recipient of the tool can be anybody so it can be scaled for as many licenses as the customer is willing to pay for. It's kind of expensive.

Tech support has been very helpful.

They have been responsive as best they can. I'm assuming that they're very busy, and they are. They usually respond within the same day. And usually the requests that go to the technical support side are not that simple either, so I can understand that.

We are partners with CA, so this was one of the strategic directions my company also wanted to take. And CA had the near-perfect solution, which we thought we should invest in, together.

It was good. There were some issues. It wasn't as smooth as we had thought.

We ran into a network issue, a firewall issue, things like that. It wasn't something we could not fix. We worked with the CA support and with the client's team to fix it. But there were issues, it took a lot of time to install and configure.

We are a consulting company, so when we go to a client we do an evaluation. Often we have to tell them what about the different products we evaluated. So in this case CA TDM has competition: Informatica has a similar product called Informatica TDM; IBM has a similar product called IBM InfoSphere Optim. These are the main competitors of CA.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the important criteria are

• ease of use
  • responsiveness of the technical support
  • forward-looking products. By that I mean, do they have a plan for the next three months, six months, year, not just make the product and then forgot about it.

For this particular area, test data management, because I am involved in evaluating other companies' products as well, CA so far is the leader. I personally compare each feature for all the companies we evaluate. So far CA is the number one. There is still some improvement to be done, which CA is aware of. But I think I would advise a colleague that we can start with CA.

2 visitors found this review helpful