Broadcom Test Data Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Broadcom Test Data Manager is #4 ranked solution in top Test Data Management tools and top Data Masking tools. IT Central Station users give Broadcom Test Data Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. Broadcom Test Data Manager is most commonly compared to Informatica Test Data Management (TDM):Broadcom Test Data Manager vs Informatica Test Data Management (TDM). The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 40% of all views.
What is Broadcom Test Data Manager?

CA Test Data Manager offers an automated solution to one of the most time-consuming and resource-intensive problems in Continuous Delivery - creating, maintaining and provisioning of the test data needed to rigorously test evolving applications. CA Test Data Manager uniquely combines elements of data subsetting, masking and synthetic, on-demand data generation to enable testing teams to meet the agile needs of the organization.

Broadcom Test Data Manager was previously known as CA Test Data Manager, DataMaker, DataFinder, Fast Data Masker, CA TDM.

Download the Test Data Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Broadcom Test Data Manager Customers

Manheim, Arag

Broadcom Test Data Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Broadcom Test Data Manager pricing:
  • "The cost of this tool is pretty high... CA provides licenses for different utilities like masking but even if you break it up, the pricing is still high."

Broadcom Test Data Manager Reviews

Prabhakar Das
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Enables continuous testing and integration by generating the required data in advance

• "The combination of extract, mask, and load, along with synthetic data, is what is generally needed by any of our clients, and CA TDM has really good compatibility in both of the areas."
  • "CA is one of the few tool suites that has end-to-end features. Whatever role you are playing, whatever personality you are trying to address, it has that feature. For example, CA Service Virtualization goes hand-in-hand with TDM."
  • "It has a feature called TDM Portal, where testers can find test data by themselves, based on multiple models. They can reserve the data so that it belongs to one group or individual. Obviously, that data is not available to anybody else... This feature is for one environment. But if a different group of testers wanted that data for a different environment, they can't use it via CA TDM. That feature doesn't exist."

What is our primary use case?

TDM is something people do all the time. You cannot say it is something you're going to do from scratch. For every client, there is a different scenario. There are a lot of use cases. But a couple of use cases are common everywhere. One of them is the data when it is not there in production. How do you create that data? Synthetic data creation is one use case challenge that is common across the board.

In addition, the people who do the testing are not very conversant with the back end or with the different types of databases, mainframes, etc. And most of the time they don't write very good SQL to be able to find the data they are going to do their testing with. So data mining is a major concern in most places.

The use cases are diverse. You cannot point to many common things and say that this will work or this will not. Every place, even though it's a TDM scenario, is different. Some places have very good documentation, so you can directly start with extraction, masking, and loading. But for most places that is not possible because the documentation is not there. There are multiple use cases. You cannot say that one size fits all.

In the testing cycle, when there is a need for test data management tools, we use CA TDM to put up the feed.

How has it helped my organization?

If you take DevOps as an example, suppose development has happened and the binary code has been deployed to a certain server. To do continuous testing or continuous integration, you need the test data. CA TDM has a feature where it can generate the required data beforehand and keep it with your test cases however you need it. If you are using JIRA it will put the test data in JIRA. If you are using ALM it will give data to HPE ALM. Once you are running your test cases in an automated way, the data is already there.

And the data provided will work for all the results. For example, if you want to do a set of automated scenarios, it will work with that. If you want it to work with various regression cycles, it will work with that. And the same data, or maybe a different set of data that you provide, will work with the unit cycles as well. CA has the ability to provide all the data on-demand as well as on the fly.

What is most valuable?

The combination of extract, mask, and load, along with synthetic data, is what is generally needed by any of our clients, and CA TDM has really good compatibility in both of these areas.

CA is one of the few tool suites that has end-to-end features. Whatever role you are playing, whatever personality you are trying to address, it has that feature. For example, CA Service Virtualization goes hand-in-hand with TDM. In addition, TDM has automation. CA has most features that complement the whole testing cycle.

CA TDM has open APIs. If we are going to use a set of Excel data and pull out the feed and we want to help the Service Virtualization by providing a set of dynamic responses to the request that that service layer is getting, how do we do that? We can use the API layer at the moment the whole process stabilizes, after three months or so. In other tools, that takes longer. This open API capability is good in CA TDM.

What needs improvement?

There are multiple things which can be improved in CA TDM. It has a feature called TDM Portal, where testers can find test data by themselves, based on multiple models. They can reserve the data so that it belongs to one group or individual. Obviously, that data is not available to anybody else. Without this tool, if somebody goes through the back end, via SQL and pulls that data, you can't do anything. But through the Portal, if somebody reserves the data, it's his. This feature is for one environment. But if a different group of testers wanted that data for a different environment, they can't use it via CA TDM. That feature doesn't exist. You have to build a portal or you have to bridge the two environments. That is a big challenge.

Three to five years.

You can envision TDM happening at three layers. One is the application layer, the second is a cluster layer, and the third is an end-to-end layer. The data required for the first level and the second level are pretty different. You can't use first-level data in the second level. And the data required for the third, for end-to-end testing, is very different from the first two layers.

So when we look at scalability, we have to see how we are creating the "journey" from one layer to another. For example, if we are working in the customer area and then we jump to payments, we have to see what the common things are that we can scale and what areas we have not tested and address them.

The initial setup is always complex. I have been working in testing environments for the last 10 or eleven years. From what I have seen, most companies lack the basic building blocks for testing.

Suppose I have a system, and that system gives data to system Y, and Y gives data to system Z. Nobody has a clue how that data gets there for testing, because that end-to-end testing has never happened. We cannot give someone data which will be rejected from system Z. We have to give him data which will pass across all the systems. And that means we have to understand the mapping file behind it. However, the mapping file is often not there so we have to create it.

We have to talk about the various models, are they logical or physical? Somebody may have created a set of logical data models 20 years back but it is not usable now. We have to work with the tool to create that set of data.

We also have to consider the scheme of values. If it's IMS, that is different from RDBMS. We have to find out what segment has more data, which segment is completing and which segment is giving data to systems. When we talk to the people who are working on that data set, one that is 20 years old or 30 years old, 90 percent of the time they don't have a clue. They are working with various tools but they don't have a clue how it is happening.

So there are always multiple challenges at the start. But then we do due diligence for six or eight weeks and it clears up all the cobwebs: What is there, what is not there, and the roadmap. That puts a foot forward so we cna say, "Okay, this is how we should move and this is what we should be able to achieve in a given timeline."

The initial deployment will take a minimum of three to four weeks.

The second step is a PoC or a pilot to run with a set of use cases.

Apart from CA TDM, I've used IBM InfoSphere Optim, which was number-one TDM tool for quite some time, and I've used Delphix. Now, a couple of more tools have come into the market, like K2View. At one point in time, about two years back, CA TDM was only tool that could do synthetic data.

CA TDM and Optim have different ways of working. CA TDM vs Optim has the major advantage of synthetic data creation. No tool was able to do that. Only in the last two years has IBM Optim come up with synthetic data capabilities, but what they are doing is creating a superset. If you have sample data, it will create a superset of that data. That is not the case with CA, as well as other tools.

There are multiple sites that also create synthetic data, but the major challenge comes into the play once you need to put that data back into the database.

What other advice do I have?

There are, let's say, five market-standard tools you can choose from. If you choose CA TDM, you need to bring out all your questions for your PoC journey. You have four weeks to get answers to whatever questions you have. There is a set of experts at CA and partners have expertise as well. Both will be able to answer your questions.

Next, you need to supply a roadmap. For example, "I need X, Y, and Z to be tackled first." And the roadmap that comes out of the due diligence needs to be followed word-for-word. So proper planning is essential.

There are three teams which are at the base of your TDM journey. One team is a central data commandment team, one is a federated team, and the third is for creating small tools that you might require at that point in time. To start, you need three to four people. But we have gotten into all types of data: Big Data, RPA, performance; etc. Wherever data is needed, our team is providing the data. In a bank, for example, where I did two rounds of due diligence, one lasting eight weeks and the other, three years later, lasting six weeks, we even implemented bots. When we started there the team was 50. Even though we automated the whole thing, more than what anyone might have even imagined, the team is still 40-plus.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Preferred Partner.
VarshaBarde
Practice Head - Digital Testing at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Synthetic data generation enables us to create multiple copies of similar data, but the UI needs improvement

• "The synthetic data generation is really good... You can write rules and create permutations and combinations according to your needs. Or you can take a snippet of the Prod data and replicate it."
  • "The integration with various utilities is also really important. That still has to happen. That's a major area for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for enterprise-level solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

While we are testing, when there is data that's not accessible or we need to quickly generate data, TDM comes in handy. We can create batch files as well. We can write scripts which automatically create data and we can integrate it with the automatic Dev scripts. This feature is very good. We have used these kinds of features for smaller solutions, although not at a very large scale, because of the complexities involved in the enterprise-level data.

What is most valuable?

The entire tool is good and I like the synthetic data generation, that's really good. It's valuable because you don't have Prod data so, instead, you can create multiple copies of similar data. You can write rules and create permutations and combinations according to your needs. Or you can take a snippet of the Prod data and replicate it. All of that is really helpful.

What needs improvement?

The UI could be improved and I see they are going to web-based. That's still in progress but I really hope all of that happens pretty soon and the entire UI gets migrated from the desktop to web-based.

Three to five years.

It has become pretty stable over the past couple of years. When it started it had issues but right now, I don't think there are any major issues.

It's a tool so scalability depends on you use it. Scalability is pretty relative. It provides a lot of features and it's up to you how you utilize them. It's pretty scalable. It has automated features and I don't think there is any other tool in the market which provides such a level of automated solutions. The demand in the industry, with respect to enterprise solutions, is pretty complex and CA TDM is pretty good. It is scalable but not to the extent that a foolproof enterprise solution can be provided using this tool.

Support is pretty good. We get answers to problems most of the time and, if we don't, they get in touch with the tech team and we get on a call with them and we figure it out together.

The setup is of medium complexity. It's been a long time since I set it up. I have had it on my laptop for a long time, but this is what I remember. The configuration does not happen by clicking a button and then you can start using it. It has its own steps. You register the depository, etc., to get into the tool. The installation itself is fine, but configuring it and getting it ready to use could be better.

The time it takes depends. At times I have installed it in a couple of hours, but if I get stuck... I don't remember all the issues I have faced, it's been a while, but I do remember that I had issues.

Every project and every implementation have to have a strategy. There are a few basic things that we look for and we follow a checklist to see if the project is feasible for TDM or model-based testing or some other solution. As far as implementation strategies are concerned, they are very specific to the client and the kind of ecosystem the client has. The basic strategy would be to not go "big-bang," to start with the basic and medium-complexity tests to show the ROI, and then roll it out one-by-one across the enterprise. But there can be a lot of nuances in the strategy document.

In terms of the number of staff needed for deployment, to start with we would not need more than two people to perform the PoC and do due diligence on the requirements. We would need two to three people in a bigger organization and one person for a smaller solution It depends on the requirements and on how much work is involved. To maintain it, one person should be enough.

Nothing happens quickly. It requires six to eight months to show a return on investment, minimum. You are going to invest in the tool, then you are going to do training, then you are going to do roll it out. And organizations have different project teams. They have to change the mindset. That process takes time. It's good when it happens. Once you have the system in place, after something like a year-and-a-half you'll see a good enough return on investment. That's the strategy we have. But we have to convince the client so that they understand this approach.

The problem is that the cost of this tool is pretty high. Even if an organization likes the tool, at times it becomes difficult for us to sell the license. CA provides licenses for different utilities like masking but even if you break it up, the pricing is still high.

IBM Optim is one competitor as is Informatica. IBM has come up with the synthetic data feature in the last years although I don't recall the name of the tool they acquired. Informatica vs IBM Optim does not provide synthetic data yet.

Normal TDM features, like masking, are provided by both IBM and Informatica. People usually go for Informatica because it is easier for them to adopt the tool. Informatica is a very popular tool on the market for basic TDM-related activities and it's not as costly as TDM.

What other advice do I have?

I have been acquainted with this tool for three-and-a-half years and, since it was acquired by CA, we have worked pretty closely with CA to give feedback on what is expected out of the tool. We have worked very closely with the developers, as well, to enhance the tool.

We have two or three clients using it.