CA Test Data Manager Review

Allows us to have quicker releases as well as speeds up our testing, but needs to get everything centralized into the portal

What is our primary use case?

As part of the DevOps function, what we are trying to do is create a subset in masked environments that is the basis for our development and testing. In the health care industry, we have a lot of concern with PII and PHI, so making sure that it is not exposed in non prod environments. Also, lessening the amount of disk space which is used for these environments, making it faster, speedier to market, etc.

So far, it is performing well. We are still in our initial build out phase, but it is all coming together.

How has it helped my organization?

We are still in our DevOps build out phase. However, it will allow us to have quicker releases, more frequent with smaller content, as well as speed up our testing.

What is most valuable?

The masking of data has really been key for us to be able to replace PII with fake values. To be able to model the data, then subset it based upon a set of drivers that I use.

What needs improvement?

They are currently working on a lot of things that we have requested to simplify: the UI and to make it more consistent; a better fit and finish. Get everything centralized into the portal.

Still implementing.

It is improving. We have become part of the design partner program for several of the tools and we really see them heading in the right direction. We look forward to some of the improvements that they are making.

We have used technical support throughout: logging some tickets and some issues that we have had. As well as going into the communities page to give some recommendations. Technical support is really quick to respond and usually very helpful.

Things have been relatively easy to either work around or they have been able to be identified pretty quickly and get flagged for future fixes.

The initial setup was complex, because it is new to the company as well as new to me. It is a new role for me, so building it from the ground up certainly makes it complex.

What other advice do I have?

Feel free to ask questions. There are really helpful people that are willing to take the time to work with you and provide a solution. Think about it holistically. Do not think about it as a siloed approach to just solving one problem. Think about how it is going to fit into the larger DevOps organization.

CA willingness to listen to customers has surprised me. Being part of this design partner program, I really feel like our concerns are being taken seriously and it is not just sales pitch stuff.

What do you personally like to see in a vendor: That you are being taken seriously. That your concerns are valid and to see actual movement with them. This is my first vendor that I have worked with extensively, which has been good.