Cisco Catalyst Switches Review

Strong features, easy to manage, and excellent support

What is our primary use case?

We use it to connect our end users. It is used for DMZ connections behind the firewalls and campus network.

What is most valuable?

All features are very strong. It is very easy to manage. It is also certified and popular.

Cisco has come up with a new management console to manage the switches. I still haven't tried it, but in my opinion, this is the best way forward. You can use software to manage the switches instead of the common line configuration. You can manage it through software, which is very easy.

What needs improvement?

It can have more security features to secure the access layer.

I have been using Catalyst 9300 Series for the last two years. It is a new model. I have been using previous models, such as Catalyst 3750, 3560, and 2960, for maybe more than 15 years.

It is very stable. You just install it and forget about it for years. I had a switch that was running for more than 11 years without a singular restart. That switch had a running time of more than 11 years.

It is scalable. We have 400 users.

Technical support is great. I was talking to one of my colleagues just two hours back about Cisco technical support. They are brilliant and excellent. If we have any hardware failure, we get it fixed the second day. We get multiple engineers working on the case if it is a critical issue. They are really supportive.

I have been using only Cisco solutions from the beginning. It has been more than 20 years now.

We plan to keep using this solution. We are going to refresh it with the latest model. We are in the process of acquiring the new model and replacing all obsolete switches with the new Catalyst 9K series. The order will be placed maybe next week.

Its setup was easy. It took an hour to configure each switch.

I deployed it myself. We have three network engineers to manage the entire network.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product to other users. I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a ten out of ten.

More Cisco Catalyst Switches reviews from users
...who work at a University
...who compared it with HPE ProCurve
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Catalyst Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.