Cisco SD-WAN Review

Allows businesses to avoid any unnecessary lengthy network changes

What is our primary use case?

Our retail clients use this solution to connect their branches.

How has it helped my organization?

With this SD-WAN solution, all we have to do is configure the VM network. The older reconfiguration could take months or even years because we needed to check, verify, test — this was very hectic. I would say that this solution allows businesses to avoid any unnecessary lengthy network changes. At the same time, necessary network changes can be done quickly and easily.

What is most valuable?

This solution comes with comprehensive technical support.

What needs improvement?

Cisco should focus more on making products that are convenient for users. Sadly, I think they are more interested in making money rather than making reliable products.

The Cisco way of thinking is to create umbrella-like solutions. I would prefer it if this solution was separate from the entire monstrous Cisco portfolio, without additional marketing and other unnecessary features. Still, so far it has been working well. Plus, the support is great. The only drawback is that it's an expensive solution.

I have been selling Cisco SD-WAN for two years.

For standard use, it's pretty stable. If you want to use this solution to manage traffic, then it depends on the release. Cisco has several patches for a variety of problems. Still, they can't guarantee that there won't' be any bugs.

This solution is pretty scalable.

Cisco's technical support is great.

The initial setup is complex. Setting up the controllers and the certification center is difficult.

In the Russian market where we operate, this solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

If you're interested in using this solution, first ask yourself how often do you need to change your network configuration? If you rarely have to switch, then you don't need SD-WAN.

More Cisco SD-WAN reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Cisco SD-WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.