Cisco Tetration Review

A solution with a straightforward setup, offering 100% telemetry coverage and good machine learning

What is most valuable?

The solution offers 100% telemetry coverage. The telemetry you collect is not sampled, it's not intermittent. It's complete. You see everything in it, including full visibility of all activities on your endpoints and in your network.

Other valuable features include vast support for annotations, flexible user applications, machine learning, automatic classification, and hierarchical policies.

What needs improvement?

The multi-tenancy, redundancy, backup and restore functionalities, as well as the monitoring aspects of the solution, need improvement. The solution offers virtually no enterprise-grade possibility for monitoring. Example include: The onboard features do not allow remote detection of simple hardware failures. There is no backup option for the data lake. The cluster cannot be deployed in a geo-redundant setup. There is no hardware upgrade path.

Our company has been using the solution for 2.5 years.

The stability of the solution is good. What it really lacks is the fact it's not enterprise-grade from an operational perspective.

The scalability is linked to redundancy. You cannot seriously cluster two Tetration units that are physically apart. That doesn't work. So scalability is quite limited. You are basically locked in with the physical setups that you start with.

The solution's technical support is average.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took us about three days to deploy the solution. To reach your first operational capability, from then onwards, it depends on the scenario. We usually spend weeks, if not months, in order to adapt the system to the customer's use case and this requires professional services, specific for the situation.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model along with MSSP, a service provider.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: System integrator and service provider.