Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops Review

A secure and flexible solution that is easy to manage, but we would like full VDI capability

What is our primary use case?

We are located in three cities in Norway and we use this system for our virtual applications. We have an ordering system, a CRM system, an email system, and more. In fact, it is used for anything that is suitable for a virtual app. Some special programs, like AutoCAD, need to be run locally, but these are the exceptions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the automatic software upgrades because they take place on only three or four servers, rather than on 50 or 60 machines.

The administration, security, and flexibility are very good.

What needs improvement?

We would like to be able to provide VDI, a full desktop, to each of our users.

I have been using XenApp since 2009.

This solution is pretty stable, I would say.

Scalability depends on the hardware, but it is easy to scale.

We have between 60 and 80 users who are managers and engineers. In addition, we have external customers that we support. These companies have between 10 and 50 users.

Although we do most of the technical support with our own IT department, we have been in touch with the vendor several times. They are good in terms of response time and we are satisfied with their work.

We did not use another solution prior to this one. We are only using Citrix and Microsoft in our infrastructure.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, but of course, there are some complex things to do as well. It took us a couple of days to deploy.

We have four IT consultants who support this solution.

We deployed this solution using our in-house team.

We did evaluate other solutions, but we found that Citrix was so interesting that we chose it.

What other advice do I have?

What we would like to do in the future is to have a VDI solution where we can give each user a desktop, but we aren't there yet. At this time, we are using this only with published applications.

This solution is easy to manage, but we want to see what happens when we create a hybrid solution with Office 365. We will be moving to a cloud-based solution in perhaps two years from now.

This is a good solution and if it is suitable for the environment then I would recommend it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer:
More Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops reviews from users