Eaton UPS Review

It has kept us from having any outages or downtime

What is our primary use case?

It is for data center support to keep our equipment powered up. It is for backup power.

It is a redundant UPS. We have an A and B for power.

How has it helped my organization?

We have not had any outages or downtime using this UPS. It has kept us from having any outages.

What is most valuable?

It lets us know about any issues with the power. It is very sensitive to any surges or sags in power. We receive those messages and know when they are happening.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see there is a little more clarity on what the issue is on the notifications that we receive. This would make it easier for us. What we have to do now is sometimes go to the UPS to figure out exactly what the issue is, because it's not always clear.

I have been using the solution for at least five years.

It is a quality product. As far as I know, we have had no failures that I can think of. It has been very stable and reliable.

Some of the models are much more scalable. Our module has an option where I can add a module to it, so it is pretty flexible.

We currently have two Eaton UPSs on two different floors. One is a Powerware product, then Eaton purchased Powerware. We don't have any plans to purchase another right now, as there isn't a need.

When I think about who I have used, technical support has been very good. We talked at different times about battery replacement and some of the reports. I got clarity on what reports would say, for example.

The service side is very good at what they do, and because of that, we have had no issues.

We previously used GE. We switched to Eaton because we didn't have the best experience with GE. We had issues with their equipment, such as a failure.

It was simple to get it installed. We had it up and online quickly. It didn't take us very long to get it up and running. The process was seamless and easy to do.

We used Eaton's consultant for the deployment. My electrician worked directly with them.

For deployment and maintenance, there is usually one technician who we have come onsite. Then, there is just a computer operator in my group who gets them access to it.

It saves our company money. Because if there is an outage, it is approximately $1 million a minute for an outage. Since we are a very large credit union, outages would be very expensive for us.

I have a maintenance contract with Eaton, which has been very good. The notifications that we receive, we use email to my team, and they work well.

We also evaluated Liebert, Schneider, and APC.

Liebert was a good alternative. Back when I started my career, we had a Liebert UPS in one of our data centers. It was very reliable. They were definitely a consideration.

Part of what we looked at was Eaton service models in the area where we are located. They had plenty of technicians available. The product is made here in this area, so parts are readily available.

There were quite a few reasons that we leaned toward Eaton, and it also had good recommendations from others.

What other advice do I have?

Take a good hard look at it. I don't think you will find another UPS that is more reliable than theirs.

I have been very happy with it. It is an improvement over the other UPS that we use. I like what they have brought to us for a solution.

It's about average size compared to others. It might be a bit smaller, but it's about what I would expect, size-wise.