Eaton UPS Overview

Eaton UPS is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Center Power Solutions. It is most often compared to Schneider Electric-APC Smart-UPS VT: Eaton UPS vs Schneider Electric-APC Smart-UPS VT

What is Eaton UPS?

Eaton is a power management company that offers a comprehensive portfolio of UPS backup power, power distribution and power management solutions, which protect you from a host of threats, including power outages, surges and lightning strikes. Eaton’s offerings are designed to deliver superior flexibility, maximum efficiency and unprecedented reliability for network closets, server rooms and data centers of all sizes. Regardless of your industry or business, you can count on Eaton to help you manage the growing demands of your work -- and your life. For more information, visit Eaton.com/backuppower.

Eaton UPS is also known as Eaton Powerware, Powerware 9300 Series.

Eaton UPS Buyer's Guide

Download the Eaton UPS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Eaton UPS Customers

Gamatronic

Eaton UPS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Eaton UPS pricing:
  • "The cost per unit, as a rough estimate, is $300,000 per UPS 750-block."
  • "When you bid them out, they're all within a single-digit percentage point of each other... The cost of Eaton's service is competitive because we bid it out. I bid the service for all my units on campus: APCs, Lieberts, Eatons, because we've got a big hodgepodge of everything. Eaton won on price."
  • "We use their service plan, which includes parts so we don't do the maintenance on it ourselves. We have a service plan that we use, then they do all the maintenance and periodical maintenance (PM) work. If there are any hardware failures, then they also do the work. Therefore, it's a hardware/software support contract that includes labor."
  • "For our used case, 12kW is good. It has worked very well for us. They can be a lot bigger and they can be smaller, but the 12kW seems to be just about right for us. It has a good price point."
  • "It is an expensive technology. The maintenance is expensive. The batteries are expensive. Replacing those batteries is expensive as a capital cost. You have to plan for it every four to five years, but it's the cost of doing business. The cost of not having a good reliable system in place is even higher when you have catastrophic failures. I would recommend the product, but you do have to be prepared to spend some money, both on the product as well as all the environmental preparations for powering the system and cooling system."
  • "The pricing is far more competitive than APC or Liebert, the other two big players. And Eaton's service is phenomenal."
  • "They are around $50,000 to $70,000 depending on the options and the modules that we get."
  • "It has been more of a cost of doing business and maintaining our systems. We use it more as an insurance policy to ensure that our medical records stay up and running. The loss of revenue would have a bigger impact to our organization if our systems were not up and operating. An outage over a 24-hour period could easily be in the $300,000 range, which would be pretty substantial. We are a three million square foot hospital with 380 beds, so it would impact us quickly."
  • "The UPSs are saving us approximately $50,000 a year."
  • "I have mixed feelings about the pricing and licensing. I believe that when you sell a UPS, and considering the UPS is a lifeline to a lot of the major corporations, the monitoring solution should be part of the package automatically, out-the-door. If you have to raise that price on the UPS an extra $5,000, then do so at that moment. Don't have that as an extra offer after the UPS has been sold. I believe that all UPSs need to have high availability, all the latest software installed, and be ready to go out-the-door."

Bill_Johnson
VP of Colocation Data Center Operations at H5
Information from PredictPulse helps us prepare for maintenance and preserve our uptime SLAs

What is our primary use case?

UPSs are supporting critical load for data center colocation, and that is true across our national portfolio. We run real estate, but our real estate is "critical-load real estate." We've got data center floors that we lease space out to for IT companies. Those IT companies can be using a rack - a single equipment cabinet - or they can be 25,000 square feet of a data center hall for their enterprise. It's a mixed environment, although we try to specialize at each of our locations in a certain sweet spot. We also have shelf space that we lease to companies, large companies which come in and… more »

• "The most valuable feature is the control... we couldn't live life without [PredictPulse]. It does add a level of comfort knowing that PredictPulse is telling us about potential errors before they happen. My preference is to keep it in ESS mode. It saves me a good amount of money."
  • "I do like the ESS mode which I operate with the 9395s. However, I've got an issue with one of my UPS strings here in Denver: That ESS mode is too sensitive to utility noise. So the utility shows no outages but I've got the UPS switching it in and out of ESS mode."

What other advice do I have?

You've got to design it well into your system, as with any UPS. The UPS can't do things that the switchgear doesn't give it the availability to do. Also, it's only as good as the last maintenance that was performed on it. The biggest thing, as far as the UPS units themselves goes, is that people have a tendency to forget about the UPS units. They're always on standby and nobody thinks about them until there's actually an outage. The good part about the UPS is it's an active component in the data center stream, in what we deliver to our colocation customers. The big component is the flexibility…
Ray Parpart
Director of Data Center Strategy & Operations at University of Chicago
Company value is more than the product. It is their people Eaton's great product and people keep bringing me back

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is mission-critical: data centers, communication closets, building automation systems, our utility plants. All our critical systems are run on Eaton. Our organization has over 20 three-phase units. We've got the 9395s and a 9355s, the 480V three-phase and the 120V three-phase. Looking forward to leveraging 93PM and the next generation of products

• "The two things that I like are the ESS, its related components, and the bypass sync, which means if there's a problem with the UPS I can mechanically wrap around it without going to static bypass. Eaton has one of the few units on the market that will do that."
  • "VMMS is a good feature. There are multiple charging units inside each UPS. For example, on my 9395 I have three to four charging units and the unit will scale down. Let's say I've got a megawatt of power. If I'm only running 200 Kw I can drop the charging units down and rotate through the charging units to reduce energy. They do all that."
  • "Their service and their relationship with their customers is their biggest value, absolutely, compared to the competitors that I've dealt with... the service organization of Eaton is one of their strongest points."
  • "I want to monitor remotely and that is a complaint I have... The remote monitoring software they have does not provide the same information that the touch screen provides and neither provide me the same information that the field techs can draw out of the unit when they directly connect to them."

What other advice do I have?

If you're thinking of implementing Eaton, reach out to their customers and then go talk to them. I make myself available to Eaton, nationwide. If they want to see my systems, I'll talk to them. I tell them good and bad. Eaton's not perfect. We've had a couple of bumps in the road, but we worked together and we've solved them, in a very positive. You're going to have problems. The key is you judge character: how do you respond in a crisis. When I went out to bid recently, I even told Eaton: "It's pretty hard to negotiate when I'm telling all my bidders they have to come to you for my big-iron…
Learn what your peers think about Eaton UPS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TB
IT Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
Using health checks, we are immediately notified if anything is happening

What is our primary use case?

It services two data centers and critical infrastructure computing devices.

• "We have utilized the building-block nature of the solution as we have grown. We can add modules, which helps from a cost standpoint and protects the initial capital investment in the system, rather than having to completely replace the system. We can start small scale and incrementally fund additional capacity as needed rather than purchasing a system, having to pull it out, and buying a brand new one."
  • "The industry is going to a smaller footprint, but that does come at a cost, specifically for battery reserve time, size and density of the system, and BTU generation. Those three areas contribute to the heat generation factor. I think that they've done a really good job. But, when you look across our infrastructure, it's the UPS system that takes up the most space of any of our products."

What other advice do I have?

The company is reliable and excellent to work with. I would recommend Eaton. If we have any other projects, it would not even be a question whether we would go with Eaton. The solution’s footprint is very good, but the solution’s power density in relation to its footprint is satisfactory/acceptable. There is always a trade-off when you're trying to add more power to size. Then, there's the cost: * If it's the batteries, and you're using typical gel cell types, those are larger. If you use a higher density battery type, the cost goes up. * With the transformers and electronics in it, if you try…
Matt Yorston
Data Center Manger at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Our data center has been up for all the years I've been in charge of it

What is our primary use case?

The units we have are for our data center. We have a data center that needs to be up 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The three Eaton units make up half of our two-end power structure. It's pretty straightforward that these are battery backups. The job of these units is that if we have a power outage, they carry the full load of all of our IT equipment until the generator kicks in.

• "The footprint is standard, the same thing as every other solution that we could have gotten. But the power density in relation to its footprint compares really well. I have an APC that has the same footprint that's 20kW less. The Eatons have the same footprint but more power."
  • "It's also very important that the solution is a three-phase UPS. Three-phase cuts down on power usage, which cuts down on our electrical bill, compared to a single-phase product."
  • "We do not use Eaton's remote monitoring, we use StruxureWare. We do use all of Eaton's web interface cards and their SNMP polling, but it's actually going to a Schneider product. Eaton makes something similar, it just wasn't as intuitive."

What other advice do I have?

If it works for your application, go for it. It's a reliable product. The rack-mountable part of this solution is not really applicable for these because ours is a full-cabinet installation. I've never used one in a standalone where you throw it in a rack with other equipment. The solution’s power density is the right application for us but I can't say it's the right application for everybody. If you need a 60kW UPS, to me, this is the way to go because it's a really good product and the pricing is far more competitive than APC or Liebert, the other two big players. And Eaton's service is…
Jim Hicks
Chief Building Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Touch-screen functionality is easy to read, helps make sure our input and output meters are good

What is our primary use case?

We use them for network backup or lab backup. These are critical environments for us, environments that we want to keep up in case of loss of power. They have high business impact. We have about 100 Eaton UPSs deployed. The versions we are currently using that are the new standard are the 93PMs. But we have used all the other ones, the 9390s, the 95s, the 9350s, the 9355s - almost their whole product line.

• "The touch-screen functionality is easy to read. There are tabs at the top and there are statuses at the top, graphics that give you a quick glance. We use the touch-screen for metering, to make sure the input and output meters are good. We also check alarm events and system history. Those are the things we usually check the most."
  • "Outside of a full-service contract, my only concern is technician availability for repairs. Where we don't have a full-service contract with them, which unfortunately is the larger portion of our equipment from them, we're just like anybody else, waiting for a slot for a technician to arrive."

What other advice do I have?

We're fairly happy with using Eaton products. I'm confident that if someone says they're going to install Eaton, they're getting a good product, that it's reliable and they won't have too many issues with it. And if they don't know anything about UPSs, they should get the service plan. If they're moderately knowledgeable about the UPSs they should just stick with a T&M. The footprint is good. It's definitely in line with their competitors. They've all gone to a modular system across the entire industry. So instead of having one big cabinet for the IO and then one big cabinet for all the power…
DC
Director of Engineering at Children's of Alabama
Prevented us from having downtime through blinks and power outages

What is our primary use case?

We use them for our data center backup and our telecommunications equipment room (TER) and our TER backups for our data systems. We use Centralized UPS for all of our telecom rooms and in our data centers and TERs, as well as throughout our facility and hospitals buildings. We currently have four units and are getting ready to swap out a GE unit, putting an Eaton in, then we will have five units in total. We are using both the 9395 and 93PM versions.

• "Scalability has been pretty good. We were able to increase the battery. We only installed one battery cabinet, then we added a second one for additional capacity later on. That was a nice feature that others haven't been able to do."
  • "In our data center, we have redundancy in all of our racks. When UPS feeds one half of the rack, the other feeds the other half of the rack. We have dual power supplies to everything. We have a lot of redundancies because of that. Luckily, with Eaton dual Battery Cabinets, we can maintain the systems at all times (short of a transformer issue), even while we're doing the maintenance on them. Our IT department loves this, because we don't shut them down at all."
  • "The battery life of the older batteries is the only thing that has been our issue up to this point. Luckily, the Cellwatch system that is on there identifies it and notifies us ahead of time when we should get them changed pretty quickly. This may be addressed with the lithium-ion batteries, but it is too early in our ownership of a UPS with a lithium-ion battery to know."

What other advice do I have?

I would strongly encourage you to evaluate the Eaton UPS just because of its reliability and ease of maintenance. It has been very reliable for us. The relationship and reliability of the unit made it a great purchase and selection for us. The service has been great too. The unit's footprint is a bit larger than some of the others, but it is nothing that we haven't been able to manage. Most of the areas that we have installed them have been in new areas which have been renovated. We just designed around that size footprint and filled it, building the room to allow for the size of a footprint…
ED
Information Technology Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
The different layers of redundancy provide reliability and business continuity

What is our primary use case?

Eaton has a lot of reputable years in the data center industry, giving out UPSs to massive data centers. We really rely on these units to ensure that we have no power interruptions. They have a proven track record. Personally, I use them because we have experienced a lot of close calls, where Eaton UPSs saved my infrastructure from any type of downtime. We have a monitoring software that I am not very familiar with, which just landed on my lap recently. All the global offices for our corporate data center (300-plus locations), a lot of these closets have PDUs in them. I do know some of them… more »

• "Our Eaton UPSs help with business continuity. I have a reliable system in place that I know that I can trust."
  • "The external monitoring solution could use further enhancements. I'm thinking of business continuity. If an internal legacy monitoring solution goes down, and it has no one to connect to the outside world, then it can't send out an alert. How are we going to be able to determine that there is a problem with that UPS if it loses network connectivity?"

What other advice do I have?

The power density will always vary depending on the models that you choose. We always like to have a 50% ratio density. We always look at a future for growth. Most of our UPSs were designed with future capacity and growth in mind. Even the modular solutions out there today, compared to UPSs, they can be predesigned or prefabricated to feed one's needs. For example, in my data center I have X amount of kilowatts. You measure the right size UPS to put in place to ensure that it is picking up the load wherever it is designed to be at. Modular solutions do the same thing, just a little…
SO
Manager of Engineering and Reliability at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Has a good footprint for a 12 kVA, saving us significant rack space

What is our primary use case?

We have distribution centers. Our newer distribution centers have regular UPS's in them from Liebert. But we have two distribution centers that are older and we keep a small amount of network gear and server gear at those locations, two racks' worth usually. We use the Eaton UPS to support those racks. We can't have our power going down just because of a blip. They mostly support our Cisco, HP, and Dell gear. We have one UPS in one rack and one UPS in the other rack. They're set up to always be redundant.

• "The most valuable feature is that they work. They've been really reliable for us. They come as advertised. There is also a nice network feature that allows us to monitor them."
  • "It's also very important that it's a rack-mountable, three-phase UPS. Some of the equipment we run requires a three-phase, such as HPE BladeSystems and some of the Cisco core devices."
  • "If they could reduce the footprint even more, that would be great. And they could always make heat dissipation better."

What other advice do I have?

The greatest thing about them is how easy they go in and start working. My advice would be to follow the installation manual. It's not a hard install, but it's a little tricky. It's a heavy unit, so you have to make sure you have enough people to move it into the rack and get the platforms in the rack correctly. Other than that, just let it do its job.
See 4 more Eaton UPS Reviews