EMC NetWorker Review

A straightforward setup, but the solution needs better automation

How has it helped my organization?

The backup software has been much faster since we've deployed the solution.

What needs improvement?

The system needs better integration with other toolsets.

Support could be improved. EMC also needs to offer more information for users online.

The solution needs more automation and more reporting, so we don't need to check everything manually.

I've been using the solution for six months.

We use the solution every day, for all of our backups. We don't plan to increase usage, but we do use it extensively right now.

I haven't had a good experience with technical support. It takes them a very long time to resolve issues.

We used to use HP DataProtector. It took too much effort to manage it, which is why we switched.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We did the implementation ourselves.

It's approximate, but I believe we pay around $20-30,000 a month in licensing.

We did not evaluate other option before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model of the solution.

Networker is a fine solution, but there are other more modern automated solutions on the market. We are considering changing to one of those. They take up fewer resources, which is why we are considering switching. I believe this solution is better than Data Protector, but there's another one, Rubrik, that saves a lot of time and effort.

We should have involved EMC with the implementation because it was difficult. I would recommend others consider this lesson that we learned from our attempt.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.