ExtraHop Reveal(x) Review

An easy initial setup with extensive documentation and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for three main aspects: security, visibility, and application performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the depth of information that's available. With all the documentation and details, it's a very good solution to work with.

Setting up the solution is relatively easy.

What needs improvement?

At this point, there aren't any features that are lacking, from our perspective. The solution is pretty complete.

The solution is expensive and gets more expensive if a company needs to scale it.

I've been using the solution for about a year now.

The stability of the solution is excellent. We don't have any issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. I would say it's quite reliable from a performance standpoint.

We have about a dozen or so people who regularly interact with the solution. They are predominantly project and operational network engineers. We're using the product on a daily basis.

Scalability is probably limited, mainly due to the expenses involved in expanding the solution. Due to costs, companies may be turned off by scaling in any meaningful way.

We've never had to contact technical support. We haven't had any major issues. Therefore, I wouldn't be able to rate the level of their service. From a product perspective, it's been very good so far.

We didn't previously use a different product. This is the first solution that we've used for security and application performance purposes.

The initial setup was not complex. We found the implementation process to be quite simple and straightforward.

It took approximately three weeks to deploy the solution and to have everything up and running.

The great part about the solution is that maintenance is minimal. It's mainly just software upgrades when they're released. When upgrades are needed, our network team is able to handle everything in house.

Our company with our own in-house team plus the vendor handled the setup together.

I don't have any insights into the pricing of the solution. I'm not sure what they are, exactly, however, it is my understanding that the solution itself is costly. There are also additional charges for additional devices to collect the traffic from the network. If you need to scale, the pricing grows too. Everything can add up.

What other advice do I have?

We have a relationship with the vendor, and we're also a customer.

For those considering implementing the solution, I would advise organizations to engage early with their sales managers and sales engineers, in order to understand these cases.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

2 Comments

author avatarDawid Van Der Merwe
Top 5Real User

ExtraHop Reveal (x) is a great solution and provides a lot of visibility and features from the get-go. Don't forget all the bundles you can add and triggers that can be built in for alerting and post analysis.The best way to manage cost is to implement a visibility layer (taps & packet brokers) to aggregate all the traffic and feed to one or two instances of ExtraHop or to implement packet filtering on a packet broker (analyzing only the most important applications, etc.) to minimize the tool sizing. Just keep in mind that when you aggregate traffic, one needs to keep the size of the server in mind that has to manage the traffic. It all adds up.

author avatarRussell Rothstein
Community Mgr

@Dawid Van Der Merwe Good points! Thanks for sharing your experience. Would you like to provide a review of Extrahop? We would be interested to get your impressions in a review. Let me know and I'll have someone accompany you through the process.