Fortinet FortiGate Review

Full-featured and priced well, with good bandwidth traffic reporting

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT service provider. We provide solutions to our customers based on what their needs are.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't know that it changes the way the organization functions. I think it gives customers more peace of mind knowing that they have this in place, that they have it set up properly, that they can run reports to get the information they need of who is using it, and who the top five users are.

Different areas in reporting that they can get information that they need to know. That it's blocking what needs to be blocked, it's allowing what needs to be allowed, it's doing what it needs to do based on the specific requirements and I don't have to worry about it.

What is most valuable?

There is an enormous amount but it also depends on the customer. Some have to do with the tracking of bandwidth to ensure that the students are not using too much or too little bandwidth.

There is also reporting. The reporting is valuable.

The next-gen features, the unified threat management capabilities are something that just about everybody is interested in at this point.

What needs improvement?

I don't like that anything more than very basic reporting is not included. You have to buy their cloud module that's an add-on for getting more customized reporting.

It has just about everything that we are looking for and the customer is needing. It's just the reporting part that is lacking in the base application.

Technical support could be improved.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

I am sure there are bugs or glitches from time to time, but it's not anything that's been problematic or had multiples where it's been an issue.

Our clients are small to medium-sized businesses.

Technical support is okay. They are not exceptional or awful, they're in the middle.

It's hit or miss on their technical capabilities and who you get and who you talk to.

I would rate them a six or a seven out of ten.

We didn't deploy a variety of solutions. Cisco is one we have deployed as well. It's just not as easy to setup. It's all command line, there is not a user interface, it's more expensive, and It doesn't have as much capability.

The initial setup is straightforward.

There's a lot to it, but it's very easy. It's a web interface and very easy to walk through it.

What other advice do I have?

We deploy both on cloud and on-premises, depending on what the customer's requirements are.

Fortinet solution has received great feedback. It compares well to Palo Alto. It's a lot more expensive.

It's very full-featured solution and it's priced well.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
More Fortinet FortiGate reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.