Fortinet FortiGate Review

Reliably protects our users, but could be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use FortiGate as our primary firewall that acts as the perimeter between the internet and our on-premises network. It is used as a security measure for about 2000 users that go out to the internet from here.

Along with FortiGate we also use other products like F5 for our network and app security. And for network equipment, we use Cisco products.

What is most valuable?

We have found it to be very reliable and that's why our teams and various users in our company use it as our main firewall every day.

What needs improvement?

The feedback that I have received is that the performance could be better, and the user experience is not as good compared to a previous solution we used. It could be more user-friendly. Of course, it still works fine for our operations.

We have been using Fortinet FortiGate for one year now.

Since we have been using FortiGate there haven't been any major problems so far. Especially nothing too serious like a major bug or anything like that.

The only issues that we have come across have had to do with simple configuration errors like missing configuration values from a previous implementation.

We have not tried to expand the product much, but it is currently used as the main security perimeter for about 2000 people which is already quite a large number. We don't predict that we will be increasing usage much more than that.

We plan to keep using FortiGate as much as we can for our security solution as we casually move more of our systems to the cloud.

Usually, we have our maintenance plan once a year, like a power-down test and things like that. But I'm not sure whether we have a contract with a partner company to do that or not. I believe our network engineer department may have used Fortinet technical support, though I have not received feedback on it.

It's straightforward.

Fortinet offers help with implementation and we have in the past used their assistance.

As far as I'm aware, in our case, it's just a yearly pricing arrangement with no additional licensing costs.

We made a comparison to two or three other products in this space, but I cannot recall the others.

What other advice do I have?

I wish that I could give more details on our technical use of FortiGate, but that isn't my main responsibility. I don't know much about this area and whether they are good or bad compared to other products. However, the feedback from our technical team has been generally good. That's why our teams use it every day.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate a seven out of ten.

More Fortinet FortiGate reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.