Fortinet FortiGate Review

High-performing SSL VPN functionality keeps our users secure while they work from home

How has it helped my organization?

We use the FortiGate firewall for our centralized management services. We have SAP and there are multiple work-from-home users that connect using the VPN to access it. Also, we have some applications that are hosted on the server and we have assigned a public IP through the firewall for them.

For our server, we have specific some UTM policies, and we have designed access so that it is sectioned by zone.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the SSL VPN, as it allows us to connect and it separates this product from other firewalls.

The VPN performance with multiple users is very good.

We are able to generate a report where we can see details on exactly what the users are accessing. We can set limits as well as easily analyze what they are uploading and downloading.

What needs improvement?

The only challenge that we are facing is that a good internet connection is required for VPN stability.

Some of the web policy reports could be improved. There are reports generated that show exactly which user is using how much bandwidth, and which sites they have been browsing. We should have a way to show that on a single screen. As it is now, when I click on a user, the information shows on another tab.

We have been using FortiGate for more than seven years.

There is no downtime with this solution. The last time the users could not connect to the VPN was an issue with the internet.

We have not tried to scale FortiGate.

We have been in contact with Fortinet several times and the technical support that we have received is absolutely fine.

In addition to FortiGate, we are using a Sophos firewall.

The deployment took approximately four months.

The licensing costs are very low.

Previously, we were using Turbo VPN to connect using mobile devices. The problem was that the users would be disconnected when the mobile was in a roaming area, and the connectivity is not as stable.

We moved to a cloud service and assigned a public IP address for that application, and we have cut out the VPN for it. That was a rare issue that we were facing with FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good firewall and I have recommended it to some of my colleagues in other organizations, and they have implemented it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

10.6.2
More Fortinet FortiGate reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.