Fortinet FortiGate Review

Reasonably-priced, intuitive, and offers a seamless VPN

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using FortiGate to provide a hardware VPN or an equipment base of VPN to a central office. I am only using a small fraction of its capabilities, so I'm not pushing it at the edges.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product makes the VPN seamless and almost invisible to me in the sense that I don't have to think about it.

What is most valuable?

Once it is in use, it is intuitive to use. Once it's in place, it doesn't require any further interaction.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup and configuration are not intuitive and require training.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for approximately four months.

The stability has been rock-solid, and I haven't seen any glitches or bugs at all.

With only two people in the company, we haven't needed to scale. Our roles include software development and providing technical support for various clients.

I have not needed to contact technical support.

This is the first firewall product that I have used.

The initial setup is fairly technical and it's not something the untrained person would want to do. You need to know what you're doing in order to set it up.

The price of FortiGate is reasonable. In terms of the market, it's not a cheap product, but it's cost-effective.

I purchased this product because this is the one that the central office supports.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product, it works, it doesn't need any attention, and I'm satisfied with it. Although the initial setup is slightly complex, security is a complex question and I'm not sure that it can be simplified.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

60D
More Fortinet FortiGate reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.