Fortinet FortiGate Review
It offers unlimited VPN licensing but it needs a real-time log viewer in the GUI.

Valuable Features

The unlimited VPN licensing. All of our remote locations (1000+) used IPSec VPN and SSL to connect to the cluster.

Improvements to My Organization

We went from being terrified about our firewalls screwing up to completely forgetting we had firewalls. I slept better and so did my manager.

Room for Improvement

A real-time log viewer in the GUI with the capability to filter traffic displayed. Cisco ASA's have this and it's fantastic.

Use of Solution

I used it for four years. We had two devices that were clustered together in a high availability pair as the front end of an country wide, high visibility solution.

No issues encountered.

Customer service was decent with Fortinet - they were helpful and got the product to our doorstep quickly.

This is where Fortinet stumbles. The support is farmed out overseas to techs that are not very knowledgeable about the Fortinet products. The response time for a critical priority one issue was over four hours and they only responded because we threatened legal action for them violating our support contract.

They used to have Juniper products, which are terrible. The enterprise class firewalls do not support any sort of packetflow gathering such as netflow, and the devices didn't even support Juniper's proprietary jflow. Their SRX series routers, meant for home office use, had more features and capabilities.

It was very straightforward and we encountered very little problems. Fail-over occurred within a second with zero outages or anyone actually taking notice. Firmware updates were easy to apply in a live environment if required, and the GUI was very easy to understand.

Implementation Team

I deployed it - I'm FCNSA certified.

ROI

If we used a similar solution that required a "per seat" license per VPN, we would have literally spent over 100x what the solution cost us.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We implemented the clustered firewalls for around $30,000, and each office had another Fortigate device at a cost of around $1,000.

Other Solutions Considered

Cisco was evaluated but we didn't want to pay for the VPN licensing.

Other Advice

It's an absolutely fantastic product. Just get your support contract clarified, and confirm the response times.