Fortinet FortiGate Review

We were able to prevent the use of torrent applications. They need to improve the alert and event logs.

What is most valuable?

With the application and web filters, we were able to block social network websites and any other websites that could lead staff being less productive. We were able to stop use of VPN applications on the school’s network. We were able to prevent the use of torrent applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It was used in a school network, so it kind of helped in preventing staff and students from getting carried away with their browsing.

What needs improvement?

I feel they need to work on the alert and event logs. We were not able to get anything much out of it when we were facing issues. Not sure if it was a configuration issue; we were, in fact, not able to see any system-related logs.

I used it for two years. I had to replace it as the number of staff increased to beyond its limit.

We did have an issue with it hanging occasionally. But then later, we figured out that it was handling traffic beyond its limit.

Technical support is average.

This was the first device we used.

It was installed by the IT solution provider while setting up the school.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good device for a medium-sized company. But if you have over 150 staff/devices, I wouldn’t advise using this.

60D
More Fortinet FortiGate reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.