Fortinet FortiGate Review

It has improved the security posture and visibility of our traffic

What is our primary use case?

E-commerce environment, enterprise data center.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the security posture and visibility of our traffic. The OS and the firmware updates are very straight forward.

What is most valuable?

All the features are very good, straightforward licensing, Fortinet product integration, standardized FortiOS and automatic uninterruptable firmware upgrade. Easy to use support and licensing portal as well as activation process.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements made to the dashboard and UI, as well as to the reporting. I would also like them to consider offering more predefined security templates.

No issues.

No issues.

An eight and a half out of 10.

They are able to identify an issue and resolve it within a pretty short period of time.

Cisco ASA.

We switched to Fortinet Fortigate because it was easy to manage, and it uses a Single OS for the whole product. We were also able to learn how to use it very quickly.

It is very straightforward.

We implemented it ourselves with some assistance from vendor. Because of the limited assistance from the vendor, we do not know what the level of expertise was.

They have very competitive solutions across the entire product line.

They also offer very clear licensing and pricing.

Checkpoint, Cisco, Palo Alto, Sonicwall, Huawei, and Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

I found that the memory usage for the Fortigate firewall are relatively higher than other firewall brand when compared to same traffic volume. It might be the scan engine do their job well or the scan engine not well tuning. If there is a details information about this would be good.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
Chingiz AbdukarimovUserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Avoid applying default IPS profile on every firewall rule, because it contains a lot of unnecessary signatures for particular rule. Try to optimize/minimize the count of signatures by selecting appropriate filters (by target/OS/App/severity/protocol). As a result, you can decrease memory usage by 10-20%.

04 May 18
IzUserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

In fact I only apply on our DMZ firewall rules I only get the same result.

10 September 18