Fortinet FortiGate Review

A cost-efficient product that is very user friendly

What is our primary use case?

It's a firewall that secures our internal network. I have been using it since 2013, and I find that most of the features are advanced, and very user-friendly.

What is most valuable?

It gives priority to certain applications compared to others as well because internally all our applications are web based.  We use FortiGate to prioritize certain applications to be accessed much faster than the others. For end users, it enables access to the applications and web filtering, as well. That's where we block off most of the sites and we can do scheduling, as well as access to certain sites within certain periods of time.

What needs improvement?

The web-cache feature which was previously on the FortiGate device, but was deleted with the recent upgrade, should be returned. It was a very valuable feature for us.

More than five years.

The stability of the product is consistent with our needs.

In terms of usage, I have a main branch and then we have smaller branches throughout the country. Connecting to each site through FortiGate is much easier.

It is cost-effective, and provides a good value for your money. The pricing, and license renewal, is very reasonable for us. The bottom-line is that it all comes down to the pricing of the solution.

I looked at Cisco, and I think that FortiGate is more reliable, consistent and stable.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a new solution, I suggest seriously researching the pricing and the features. It must be a solution that fits your particular requirements and specifications.

I think FortiGate is more reliable, consistent, and easy to learn. It is robust and more secure than other solutions on the market.