Fortinet FortiGate Review

Auto-scans for viruses, worms, and malware

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate out of fear for malware on the internet, to protect our users from malware. We also use FortiGate to prevent connections to the internet.

How has it helped my organization?

We mainly use Fortinet FortiGate to prevent infections of technology on our network devices. We use it to auto-scan for viruses, worms, and malware.

What is most valuable?

The feature that prevents internet connections, the filtering, is the most valuable feature because we did not have any internet protection before.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet could improve the windows opener or the virtual IP solutions for opening windows. The virtual IP settings need improvement as firewalls are trending in new development directions.

Three to five years.

Fortinet FortiGate is very stable. We use it for 20 hours a day only. It is a firewall so it cannot be shut down.

Fortinet FortiGate is scalable, but it is not a requirement for us. We only have 25 users. They are general users, not engineers. I am the only engineer needed to maintain FortiGate.

We didn't need Fortinet customer support because FortiGate was already configured.

We started with Fortinet FortiGate. We weren't previously using another solution.

The initial setup of Fortinet FortiGate is not so difficult. We got the instructions for the installation from Fortinet online.

The majority of the work was implemented by our vendor. The deployment took about two days to complete.

The installation of Fortinet FortiGate was implemented by our vendor. They are a third-party selling company, not the original manufacturer.

Fortinet is reasonable in pricing and licensing. Overall, FortiGate is affordable. The licensing fee can be a little high, depending on the budget for your project.

Other products are not so popular in Taiwan, but the IBM IPM solution is a major competitor to Fortinet FortiGate for firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet FortiGate is a stable and affordable product. I would rate Fortinet FortiGate an 8/10. So far, Fortinet FortiGate has been enough for our business requirements.