Fortinet FortiGate Review

Easy to manage, improves visibility, and lowered our TCO

What is our primary use case?

We are using the FortiGate firewall for multiple purposes including network antivirus, Application Control, Web Filtering, IPSec Tunnels, and SSL-VPN using soft FortiTokens.

For the past year, we have also been using this technology for Secure SD-WAN. This added a lot of value in terms of technology, such as datacenter connectivity using IPSec tunnel-added security filters, with less cost by canceling MPLS.

How has it helped my organization?

We have implemented secure SD-WAN using FortiGate firewalls in 15 locations and it is working extremely well.

Since implementing, the total cost of ownership (TCO) has been lowered and the day-to-day security operations have been simplified through our FortiOps services. These provide cloud-based management, visibility, and automation across your Fortinet Security Fabric. It also helps to realize the operational benefits of a Fortinet-enabled Secure SD-WAN.

At the same time, cybersecurity threats have become more sophisticated and fast-moving. Fortinet offers a full range of services and subscriptions to help us simplify and make the most of your SD-WAN deployment with the lowest TCO possible.

What is most valuable?

FortiGate Secure SD-WAN includes best-of-breed next-generation firewall (NGFW) security, SD-WAN, advanced routing, and WAN optimization capabilities, delivering a security-driven networking WAN edge transformation in a unified offering.

Fortinet Secure SD-WAN delivered the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) per Mbps among all other vendors.

Antivirus, Application Control, Web Filtering, IPSec, and SSL-VPN are great features with the next-generation Fortinet firewall. They are all very easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

We are managing FortiGate using a FortiManager and it needs improvement with respect to the ease of administration tasks.

There is a lot of improvement needed with SSL-VPN.

Technical support could be improved.

We have been using FortiGate technology for more than five years.

FortiGate is a very stable firewall.

With respect to scalability, it's an excellent product.

The customer service is good, although there is room for improvement with technical support.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We implemented this solution with this assistance of a partner.

We did evaluate other products, including solutions by Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

There is always a need for improvement with any vendor.

More Fortinet FortiGate reviews from users