Guidance Software EnCase Review

​Technical support is average. They perform their job well when required.​

What is most valuable?

Image creation and image analysis in one program, basically for ease of use. All-in-one solutions tend to outperform split system solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed me to teach forensics in an environment which is very much analogous to the real world.

What needs improvement?

It could be more geared towards students. I would add a full-featured student version that can be integrated into labs that the students can work with. (This can be on a monthly fee plan.)

On and off for nine years in educational surroundings. I have only used the newer version (8.5) in classes.

With 6.10, there are some issues, but these have been corrected. With 8.5, which I have used a few times, I have not seen any major issues that would be showstoppers.

The ability to upgrade was inline with other programs of this type.

Technical support is average. They perform their job well when required.

I used and still use DCFLDD and Sleuth Kit (Autopsy) as a comparison to the professional program, EnCase. I did not switch because I believe students need to know how to use alternatives as well as the professional versions of the software.

I would say straightforward, in comparison with other programs of this type. No more, no less complex.

I would tell prospective buyers to make sure that you purchase at least three licenses for professional use. This is not the program I would suggest for a newbie using to learn. It is just too expensive for the full experience, and the student versions, while very good, are just for that, students.

Yes, I did. I still use and teach with other options, because I feel that students should know about multiple systems. I have used in teaching FTK, ProDiscover, and Sleuth Kit (Autopsy).

What other advice do I have?

Know how many licenses you will need starting off.

Make sure the system you are loading it on is clean. I have experienced that it (EnCase) is easier to load on a system that does not have other forensic programs on it.