Guidance Software EnCase Review

Helps speed up the process of investigation. It indexes much faster, and is more reflexive because of the Enscripts.

What is our primary use case?

When the open face tools are not able to do what EnCase is able to do.

How has it helped my organization?

EnCase helps speed up the process of investigation. It indexes much faster, and is more reflexive because of the Enscripts (scripts that create additional functionality for EnCase).

What is most valuable?

The most important feature we've found is the Enscripts. That is one powerful feature that I personally love to use. It allows me to customize the scripts and deploy it as and how I need it. For example, if I want to segregate the files for myself, indexing the files, so that using Enscripts I am able to do so.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a capability to ingest and absorb more data. That would be really good.  It currently is lacking this function.

Less than one year.

No, I didn't face any issues of crashes or stability. There were minor UI bugs, but nothing related to process.

Yes, it does, it does. It does work on enterprise.  I personally have not used EnCase on a server, but I would like to try that feature sometime in future.

I haven't interacted much with tech support.

I was not involved with the implementation or setup of the product.

It's a very strong player in this field already, and I see there's potential for EnCase. They're continuing in development and really keeping up with technology and demands.

EnCase is an affordable solution.

We compared it to Autopsy. We noticed that with EnCase, the indexing is much faster.

In addition, I also use FDK and Unix. In comparison, EnCase is pretty solid, because of the lab solution compared to FDK and Autopsy. And, if the size goes beyond a certain TB, like 100 or plus, then we use Unix.