Hitachi Content Platform Review

Good retention log and provides seamless recovery in case of disaster

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. On our end, we are using for R&D purposes.

Our customers primarily use HCP for media files and file storage. Some of them are using it as an image repository.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the retention log.

The way that they handle the DR is very good because when there is a failover, it is seamless to the users. DR and multisite replication come together as a package.

What needs improvement?

The vendor needs to come up with their own integration solutions. As it is now, they provide object storage that is used by a number of other vendors. They allow the partners to come up with the ideas. For example, Microsoft, Cisco, and others can promote their own solutions, but there is nothing directly from Hitachi. Hitachi needs to start working with all of its partners, globally.

What is lacking in this solution is a simple process to migrate from existing systems.

I have been working with the Hitachi Content Platform for between four and five years.

Normally, the HCP is stable. We have not come across any bugs. There were some issues with features in the previous versions but I have seen that most of them are fixed and working as per our requirements.

This solution scales well and I don't think that there is an issue with that.

We have several clients of different sizes who have implemented it. Some of them are using it for DR, whereas others have single instances.

Our experience with technical support is mixed. We have found that it depends on the country because depending on where the support is, the level of expertise varies. In some countries, the call is simply routed to somebody else. In other cases, you can get an expert who is extremely good.

We did not use a another object storage system prior to this one.

The complexity of the initial setup is mixed. When it comes to setting up the hardware it can be a little complex. However, once that is complete, everything is pretty straightforward.

Once the hardware has been set up, it will take a day or two to start everything. For this platform, it is setting up the hardware that takes time.

We did look at other solutions but it was a few years back. We tried one by Sun Microsystems, for example, but it never went into commercial use.

What other advice do I have?

I have seen that some of our customers position this solution as a file server but this is not something that I recommend. It is not intended as a file server.

My advice to anybody who is considering this product is to properly consider the integration between components, or the "glue". This is a good solution but it works as a part of a larger system. If it isn't planned properly then it can be a bit painful.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.