HPE ProCurve Review

Easy to manage and configure with good pricing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a client switch, which supports the users, as a core switch of the whole network, and also as a service switch for only the servers and the environment.

What is most valuable?

The price is the solution's most valuable aspect.

It's easy to manage and configure. The configurations can be exported and imported to another solution.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any flaw in the product at this time. I'm a happy customer. The only things that might need improvement would be the administrative tools and the graphical interface. The GUI could be improved on the administrative interface, for example.

The speed could be higher, and more than 10 gigabits. We are in the process of buying large switches, and the higher the speed the better. It's that feature that involves a high cost, however. We find it challenging at the moment to find a low-cost solution.

I've been using the solution for 10-15 years.

The stability of the solution is good.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have about 70 users on the solution right now. We're a research center, so everyone has access to the tool. We use the solution 24/7.

We've never been in touch with technical support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The complexity of the implementation depends on the setup. In our case, it was a bit complex. Deployment may take about four hours. I'm not sure exactly, as my colleague set up the solution.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

We don't need to pay for support for HPE. The only hidden costs are the man-hours involved in handling the solution.

He did evaluate Cisco many years ago, however it was too expensive to be viable.

What other advice do I have?

We use the latest version of the firmware, or operating system, on the switches. We try to keep them updated. We use the on-premises deployment model.

It's difficult to give any kind of advice on the solution. It depends on the situation, what the infrastructure is, how advanced, and complex, etc. In general, HPE has products that cover almost everyone's needs from basic, small networks to complex huge campus networks for universities or large organizations. They have a good product line. It just takes some knowledge and competence to maintain them.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

More HPE ProCurve reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Catalyst Switches
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Cisco and others in LAN Switching. Updated: June 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.