Huawei OceanStor Review

The possibility to split disks into domains also provide a way to get the best "money saving" over "performance" ratio using tiering of disks, so you can use the right tier for any application

How has it helped my organization?

Once we had to implement a completely new environment and we didn't need to buy another storage because of it's flexibility.

If your virtual machine that resides on it completely fills the storage space, thanks to it's built-in function of all-zero data space reclamation, you just have to ask to System Engineer to run a zero-free on hosts (thin provisioned) and you will get more space instantaneously.

What is most valuable?

The horizontal scalability up to eight members and the possibility to distribute disks in domains made it my choice, it's perfect for any purposes because there is no waste of space.

The possibility to split disks into domains also provides a way to get the best "money saving" over "performance" ratio using tiering of disks, so you can use the right tier for any application you want to run on.

For example: for a server that only need to stream videos (sequential reading) you will create a mixed tier using SSD for caching and HDD for backend storage.

What needs improvement?

Unfortunately, this product doesn't support Flash Disks, but it's IOPS capacity is a great compromise.

The kernel stability makes it the best choice for preventing disasters, every member in cluster also had at least two active intelligences for redundancy, but in my experience, I never encountered any kind of problem. I think this hardware can last 50 years.

Absolutely not, as explained previously, with it's up to eight members for cluster, you can also start a new cluster if you need to expand the business over and over.

Unfortunately (or not), I've never had to interface with it, not even for an initial setup. It's really easy to implement in any existing environment.

The company for which I set up the system was born with this core solution.

Absolutely not, the product work out-of-the-box, you just need a knowledge about networking (in case of ISCSI) and FC protocol (in case of FiberChannel LUN provisioning that was my case).

This product value matches its price.

What other advice do I have?

It's the best co-worker you could have with you! And he never gets holidays.

1 visitor found this review helpful